I can't complete step 2 (creating HRUs)

idris wada

Nov 13, 2023, 6:50:16 AM11/13/23
to QSWAT
Good day members. I am currently running the QSWAT model and I am in step 2 of the process, it has taken me 7 days now without completion. I have a watershed of 47,000 square kilometers. My rasters are in TIF format. Initially, my Landuse raster had a 10m resolution, it took 12 days, then I canceled it and resampled the land use map to a 200m resolution. now it's on day 7. My computer has 32GB RAM, 14 cores, 20 logical processors, and a 4.5GHz speed. At the bottom of the step 2 window, it is only showing "Reading Rasters". Please what is the possible problem? Kindly help me out. find attached my LULC resampled map and my soil map.
hjrb_soil_projected.tif.xml
hjrb_soil_projected.tif.vat.dbf
final_hjrb_lulc_resample.tif.vat.dbf
final_hjrb_lulc_resample.tif.xml
final_hjrb_lulc_resample.tif
hjrb_soil_projected.tif.ovr
hjrb_soil_projected.tif
hjrb_soil_projected.tif.aux.xml
final_hjrb_lulc_resample.tfw
final_hjrb_lulc_resample.tif.ovr
final_hjrb_lulc_resample.tif.aux.xml
hjrb_soil_projected.tfw

chris.g...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2023, 7:12:53 AM11/13/23
to QSWAT
You can see some figures on how long it takes to do delineation on various machines in the 'Large DEMs' section of both the QSWAT and QSWAT+ manuals.  'Reading Rasters' is often the slowest proecedure, because it involves reading several possibly large rasters.  It is unlikely the program is looping, and it can run for days, so I suggest you are patient.

The critical factor for delineation and for reading rasters is not the number of square kilometres in the watershed but the number of pixels in the DEM.  As for the landuse and soil maps they should have a resolution the same as or close to that of the DEM.  A higher resolution is wasted, since they are only read at the centre of each DEM pixel, and a lower one may lose information.   Remember if you decide to resample the DEM you should use something like bilinear interpolation, but for landuse and soil maps nearest neighbour is appropriate, as they contain discrete data.

Chris

idris wada

Nov 13, 2023, 10:15:54 AM11/13/23
to QSWAT
Thank you for the vital information. I have grabbed some important information from your response. I will act appropriately.