PTSA Updates

qoptsa.president

May 23, 2016, 11:19:48 PM5/23/16
to QOHS PTSA
Hello PTSA Members,
Please read below for the following updates:
1. Used AP books
2. Seedling sale Wednesday
3. Mathnasium opening and Special Offers
4. Open 2016–17 chairperson positions
5. Congratulations and Thank yous!

1. If your student has taken his/her AP exams and is finished with his/her AP book, please consider donating to the PTSA. We resell them at back-to-school night in the fall as a fundraiser. We also accept any used SAT or ACT study guides Students can bring them in and drop them in the yellow bin in the main office.

2. From Ms. Bewernitz in our QO Science department:
Giant Heirloom tomato seedling pack! - $10
It has been a rough spring with all of this rain. If you haven't gotten your garden in yet, we have a deal for you! Due to a rainy start we are offering an heirloom tomato starter pack. 8 assorted heirloom or open pollinated variety tomatoes and one mystery pepper for $10. Each seedling will be different to offer a wide assortment of tomatoes. Everything will be prepackaged for a quick pick up. Other vegetables are also available for $3 each.
These tomatoes are really large and ready to produce! (Over a foot tall in many cases)
Pick up will be Wednesday from 3- 6 in front of Quince Orchard High School
Later times may also be arranged if needed.
No limit! We need to clear out our greenhouse!
In each bag: 3 red varieties, 1 green, 1 black or purple, 1 yellow, 1 bicolor, 1 other, 1 pepper
Also available: watermelon, zucchini, yellow squash, Bell peppers, pumpkins

3. Thank you to Kathryn and Barry from Mathnasium who came and spoke at our last PTSA meeting. Mathnasium has just opened across the street. They are offering:
Summer Math Programs and Grand Opening Specials at the brand new Mathnasium of North Potomac! We are your math-only learning center located in the Potomac Village south shopping center, right across the street from QOHS. Our Summer Math Programs are designed to prevent summer learning loss and prepare your student for what lies ahead. Whether your student needs to fill in gaps, get a solid review of previous material, or preview upcoming concepts, Mathnasium can help! Enroll by May 31st and receive a free assessment and 25% off our Summer and Regular Program prices. We are also offering SAT Readiness and Algebra Readiness Assessments free of charge through May 31st. Call us at (240) 252-1184 or visit www.mathnasium.com/northpotomac/promotions for more information or to get started today!

4. Our PTSA has a couple positions in need of chairpersons or co-chairpersons. If you are interested in chairing or co-chairing either of the positions below, please email me at qoptsa.p...@gmail.com.
Staff Appreciation - plan staff appreciation events throughout the year, approximately 5 events. There is a fantastic binder from previous chairpeople with all activities and supplies needed. Most events use donations from QOHS parents. It's a great way to interact with and get to know the staff at school. Grab a friend or two and have some fun helping recognize our teachers and staff!
Academic Achievers - every marking period, recognize students who are academic achievers. Plan one assembly for the year and update the academic achievers bulletin board. This is a great program that recognizes our academic achieving students, but we need a chair or cochair to run it next year!

5. Congratulations to our officers who were elected at the last PTSA meeting. Your 2016–17 officers are:
President – – Ron Rivenburgh
Vice President of Events – – Deanie Preston
Vice President of Publicity – – Liliana Rojas
Secretary – – Angela Wilson
Treasurer -- Ivelisse Rodriguez

Finally, our QO senior awards program was tonight. Our PTSA awarded four scholarships to students who will attend Montgomery College. Congratulations to Romit Basnet, Ngun Hliang, Rebecca Murillo and Peter Orlandini who were awarded the scholarships this evening.
Special thank you to Barbara Wolfe, our PTSA Scholarship chairperson and to Tara Kavadias and Michelle Cornblatt for chairing the Senior Awards night.

Thanks,
Erin