Fwd: Forgotten lives: The experiences of trans older adults with dementia recruitment request

Queer Ontario

Nov 10, 2021, 7:05:14 PM11/10/21
to qo-news

---------- Forwarded message ---------

Dear Queer ON,

I am writing to request your organization’s assistance in helping disseminate information about a project on trans people living with Alzheimer’s or dementia and their carers, with the goal of reaching potential participants.

This project, entitled Forgotten lives: The experiences of trans older adults with dementia, is led by two professors in the School of Social Work at the University of Ottawa, Marjorie Silverman (cisgender woman, pronouns she/her) and Alexandre Baril (trans man, pronouns he/him). The project is funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) and has ethics approval by the University of Ottawa.

This innovative research aims to examine the lived experiences of trans (transgender, transsexual, nonbinary, etc.) older adults with Alzheimer’s or dementia and their support networks, with the goals of: 1) Exploring and documenting how the intersections of gender identity, cognitive disability and age are experienced in everyday life; 2) Exploring and documenting the everyday realities of intersecting oppressions and forms of discrimination they experience; 3) Developing recommendations for practitioners working with these populations. This research is being conducted from a trans-affirmative and disability and anti-ageist perspective, and aims to improve the lives of marginalized populations and give back to these communities through a vast array of knowledge dissemination activities.

The researchers are available to meet with participants by videoconference, in either French or English. They are looking to recruit trans older adults with dementia, as well as carers who are supporting a trans person with dementia. The inclusion criteria are listed in the attached recruitment posters.

I have attached to this email two separate recruitment posters (one for trans participants living with dementia, and the other for carers), that you can either send electronically to contacts, and/or print and post within your organization. You can also post it on any of your social media platforms. We would greatly appreciate your help in the effort to disseminate these materials about the project. Please get back to me to let me know if your organization will be able to help with this process. I would also be happy to speak on the phone to discuss the project in more detail.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Elgin Pecjak (pronouns: he/him)

Research Assistant on behalf of:

Marjorie Silverman, Ph.D., Associate Professor, University of Ottawa

Alexandre Baril, Ph.D., Associate Professor, University of Ottawa

--

Sincerely,

Elgin Pecjak (pronouns: he/him; self-identifying transgender man)

Research Assistant on behalf of:

Marjorie Silverman, Ph.D., Associate Professor, University of Ottawa

Alexandre Baril, Ph.D., Associate Professor, University of Ottawa

Bilingual recruitment posters carers.pdf
Bilingual recruitment posters trans people.pdf

Leonard Halladay

Nov 12, 2021, 5:24:13 PM11/12/21
to qo-...@googlegroups.com

Happy to circulate on Instagram, shall I reach out and advise to that effect? Brian re: circulation and others, thoughts?

Thanks,

Leonard

From: <qo-...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Queer Ontario <queero...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 7:05 PM
To: qo-news <qo-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [qo-news] Fwd: Forgotten lives: The experiences of trans older adults with dementia recruitment request

[External Email]

--
You have received this message because you are a member of the Queer Ontario News Group. If you have any questions about what we do, or if have any news items or ideas to share, then feel free to contact us using any one of the methods below. To unsubscribe from this group, simply send an email requesting that you be removed and we will do so within 48 hours.

Email: queero...@gmail.com
Website: http://queerontario.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/queerontario
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=224353105294
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "qo-news" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qo-news/CAC6eK%2BrnMer1xcUH0T6jRWJUsmjFVfR%3DXUt8%3D%3DoQVmv0xD55Bg%40mail.gmail.com.

This email contains links to content or websites. Always be cautious when opening external links or attachments.

Please visit https://carleton.ca/its/help-centre/report-phishing/ for information on reporting phishing messages.

When in doubt, the ITS Service Desk can provide assistance. https://carleton.ca/its/chat

-----End of Disclaimer-----