QLime install notes

ken...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2004, 10:06:37 AM10/9/04
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Cool, Shalabh! Toying around with QLime a bit...interesting.

Some notes from install on a fairly vanilla Debian box. Mainly prereqs.

1) Need medusa for install of demo

2) Medusa run script example in handbook uses server/qlime_server.py
script in tar, not installed one in lib/python, or whereever (ie,
python ../server/qlime_medusa.py demo.conf). So if you change port #,
for example...you're using wrong one.

3) Demo fails w/o pyPgSQL installed

4) noteapp fails b/c /home/shalabh...blah is hardcoded/included
somewhere (ah...in demo.conf. Requires updates to paths, and they have
to be absolute. That's fine...just mention it a little more explicitly,
maybe, in install. When I'm playing around with something like this, I
try to get up and running QUICK, so I'm not searching for things to
edit...)

Looks quite interesting, though! I love Quixote, and your OR mapping
stuff is pretty jazzy. Congrats on all the good work!

Shalabh Chaturvedi

Oct 9, 2004, 3:14:21 PM10/9/04
to ql...@googlegroups.com, ken...@gmail.com
Hi,

ken...@gmail.com wrote:
> Cool, Shalabh! Toying around with QLime a bit...interesting.
>
> Some notes from install on a fairly vanilla Debian box. Mainly prereqs.
>
> 1) Need medusa for install of demo

Yes. I'll fix the doc.

> 2) Medusa run script example in handbook uses server/qlime_server.py
> script in tar, not installed one in lib/python, or whereever (ie,
> python ../server/qlime_medusa.py demo.conf). So if you change port #,
> for example...you're using wrong one.

The files should be indentical - i.e. the tar one and one in
site-packages/qlime/server/qlime_medusa.py so you can run either. Of
course you'll have to change the port in the one you are using, but I'll
just point people to one file to avoid confusion.

Btw, another item missing from the docs is that you can pass a second
argument to qlime_medusa.py, which can be a Quixote conf file. So,

$ python qlime_medusa.py qlime.conf quixote.conf

> 3) Demo fails w/o pyPgSQL installed

Hmm.. you're right. This is a bug (it's a bogus requirement), now fixed.

> 4) noteapp fails b/c /home/shalabh...blah is hardcoded/included
> somewhere (ah...in demo.conf. Requires updates to paths, and they have
> to be absolute. That's fine...just mention it a little more explicitly,
> maybe, in install. When I'm playing around with something like this, I
> try to get up and running QUICK, so I'm not searching for things to
> edit...)

Good point. I'll try to get rid of the absolute path requirement.

> Looks quite interesting, though! I love Quixote, and your OR mapping
> stuff is pretty jazzy. Congrats on all the good work!

Thanks for your feedback! This is just the kind of stuff I am looking for.

Cheers,
Shalabh

jeremy...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2005, 2:44:25 AM3/19/05
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I was unable to import qlime 0.51 as follows:

$ python
Python 2.4.1a0 (#2, Feb 9 2005, 12:50:04)
[GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8)] on linux2
>>> import qlime
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/qlime/__init__.py", line 12,
in ?
import qlime.registry
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/quixote/ptl_import.py", line
123, in find_import_module
return self.loader.load_module(fullname, stuff)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/quixote/ptl_import.py", line
107, in load_module
return ihooks.ModuleLoader.load_module( self, name, stuff)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/ihooks.py", line 270, in load_module
m = self.hooks.load_source(name, filename, file)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/ihooks.py", line 168, in load_source
return imp.load_source(name, filename, file)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/qlime/registry.py", line 17,
in ?
from qlime import session
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/quixote/ptl_import.py", line
123, in find_import_module
return self.loader.load_module(fullname, stuff)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/quixote/ptl_import.py", line
107, in load_module
return ihooks.ModuleLoader.load_module( self, name, stuff)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/ihooks.py", line 270, in load_module
m = self.hooks.load_source(name, filename, file)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/ihooks.py", line 168, in load_source
return imp.load_source(name, filename, file)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/qlime/session.py", line 12, in
?
from quixote.publish import SessionPublisher
ImportError: cannot import name SessionPublisher

Shalabh Chaturvedi

Mar 19, 2005, 3:40:55 AM3/19/05
to ql...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
jeremy...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was unable to import qlime 0.51 as follows:
>
> $ python
> Python 2.4.1a0 (#2, Feb 9 2005, 12:50:04)
> [GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8)] on linux2

< long traceback snipped>

> File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/qlime/session.py", line 12, in
> ?
> from quixote.publish import SessionPublisher
> ImportError: cannot import name SessionPublisher

This is because QLime 0.51 works with Quixote 2.0a4. Looks like you have
2.0a5 (which removed SessionPublisher, merged it into Publisher).

QLime 0.52 (unreleased) works with 2.0a5, so you could either wait till
it is released, or simply change all occurences of SessionPublisher to
Publisher in session.py to make it work.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other problems.

Shalabh

jeremy...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2005, 3:58:00 AM3/19/05
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Also, session_mgr needs to be changed to session_manager in session.py.