How to get Syphon client?

David Meissner

Jun 24, 2024, 5:26:24 PM (5 days ago) Jun 24
to QLab
I've been looking into Syphon and I'm not clear on how to install a client. I haven't found much information online, other than the Syphon code itself on Github and a few tutorials for apps that seem to have the client built in, like OBS. The code on Github has to be compiled, and while I do have access to Xcode, I haven't used it in a while and I'm surprised that there isn't a simpler way to obtain a working client. Can anyone offer some advice?

Thank you,
-David

micpool

Jun 24, 2024, 5:40:19 PM (5 days ago) Jun 24
to QLab
https://syphon.github.io

Most people just use a  syphon  enabled app. The simplest pre built client is probably Syphon recorder.

Mic

micpool

Jun 24, 2024, 11:39:19 PM (5 days ago) Jun 24
to QLab

It’s probably also worth saying that if you are using QLab,  a QLab camera cue can access any QLab Syphon output.

Unlike NDI, Syphon is restricted to interoperable apps running on a single computer.

What are you trying to do that involves needing to view a Syphon stream?

Mic

David Meissner

Jun 25, 2024, 11:31:37 AM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to QLab
Thanks very much for the help. I thought Syphon might help me with two things: simulating the resolution of the theater's projector as I work on a show at home; and creating a video to show the director how a sequence of cues looks. At the moment I'm filming my monitor on an iPhone to show the director.

And also, as I started to look into it I was surprised at how little information was available, so it's become a bit of a challenge to understand how to get it working. I will try out Syphon Recorder.

Thanks again!
-David

micpool

Jun 25, 2024, 12:34:10 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to QLab
If you are using QLab 5 you might find this QLab Cookbook chapter useful

This chapter outlines a method for developing projection designs from the pre-visualization stage to a performance-ready workspace, entirely within QLab. This lets you make effective design decisions early in the process by programming cues in a virtual representation of the final performance space, simulating multiple audience viewpoints and close-up views of the projection surfaces.

 I use the techniques outlined in this chapter to pre-visualise and share my designs with directors and colleagues. You can just screen record the previz monitor using the standard shift-command-5 built in Screen recorder in Mac OS

Attached is a short example of a Previz of a few seconds from a recent show which had  8 stages with masks spread over 2 projectors.

Mic

Demo.mov

Andy Dolph

Jun 25, 2024, 2:20:47 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to ql...@googlegroups.com
That technique was so amazing for me working on a huge projection show this spring - I was sitting in waiting rooms programing with previs!

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Threads: https://threads.net/@QLabApp

David Meissner

Jun 25, 2024, 4:32:04 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to QLab
That's a great resource - thank you! I clearly need to spend some time going through the cookbook!