QLab and Dante Via?

Andy Leviss

Feb 8, 2022, 2:23:26 PM2/8/22
to Discussion and support for QLab users.
Has anybody had any experience with QLab not being able to send audio to Dante Via? Every other app on this computer sends to Via fine, and QLab works fine with everything the same but swapping to DVS. But for some reason, when QLab is supposedly sending to Via, Controller shows no audio to it's transmit channels, and the lack of audio on the far end of the Dante routing confirms that reality.

I'm stumped, even with my years of QLab experience, and Brett at Audinate's support is stumped. And I don't have another Mac handy to try to see if it's a global issue, or local to my computer.

QLab 4.6.11
Dante Via 1.3.1
MacOS 10.15.7
Intel Mac

Anybody have any idea what might be up?

Thanks!

-Andy

Stephen Litterst

Feb 8, 2022, 3:08:38 PM2/8/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I tried it on my MacBook with similar results
Qlab 4.6.11
MacOS 11.6.3
Dante Via 1.2.0
Intel Mac

My Mac shows up in the Device list of Controller, but is not available in the routing section.  Switching to DVS and it shows up as I expect it should.

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp

Stephen Litterst

slit...@gmail.com

Matthias Langhammer

Feb 8, 2022, 3:13:46 PM2/8/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

Via is tricky sometimes.
First of all check if you can patch the channels. If not check sampling frequency etc.
Is Via your output device in Qlab?
Check your preferences in Via. Uncheck the privacy checkbox. On my Mac I‘m never asked by Via if it‘s ok to send audio so it‘s blocked all the time. (https://dev.audinate.com/GA/via/userguide-1-2/webhelp/content/privacy_and_permissions.htm)
Sometimes it helps to uninstall Via and DVS. Running DVS on the same machine (even if it‘s not active) sometimes causes problems. Re-Install Via.
I observed a problem with soundbyte: the first 1-2sec are coming out if the standard Audio device and then Via takes over.
On an old system I was unable to get Via to run. Full clean install of Mac OS was the solution…

Hope one of the steps can solve the problem!

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 08.02.2022 um 20:23 schrieb Andy Leviss <an...@soundguyandy.com>:

Matthias Langhammer

Feb 8, 2022, 3:17:29 PM2/8/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I will have a try on our M1 and my Macbook tomorrow…

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Andy Leviss

Feb 8, 2022, 3:36:19 PM2/8/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 3:13 PM Matthias Langhammer <matze...@gmail.com> wrote:
First of all check if you can patch the channels. If not check sampling frequency etc.
Yup, that was kind of implied in that I could confirm that audio wasn't making it to the far end of where those transmit channels are routed to. As stated, the issue is further up the chain...the transmit channels do not show any audio coming to them.

Is Via your output device in Qlab?
Yes, kind of assumed that was implied, even if only in the fact that I worked for QLab support for four years, and have Audinate support as well, LOL.

Check your preferences in Via. Uncheck the privacy checkbox. On my Mac I‘m never asked by Via if it‘s ok to send audio so it‘s blocked all the time. (https://dev.audinate.com/GA/via/userguide-1-2/webhelp/content/privacy_and_permissions.htm)

Yes. Otherwise my earlier statement of, "Every other app on this computer sends to Via fine" would not be possible.

Sometimes it helps to uninstall Via and DVS. Running DVS on the same machine (even if it‘s not active) sometimes causes problems. Re-Install Via.
Reboots, reinstalls, updates, all the things, save for an OS reinstall, which isn't going to happen in the middle of a gig.

I observed a problem with soundbyte: the first 1-2sec are coming out if the standard Audio device and then Via takes over.
Not the case here.

On an old system I was unable to get Via to run. Full clean install of Mac OS was the solution…
Welp, if that's the solution, it isn't getting fixed anytime soon.

Re: your second email, I don't know that testing on an M1 is a super relevant data point, given that M1 support for Via is officially considered "YMMV" by Audinate, but guess it won't hurt to see.

-Andy

Andy Leviss

Feb 8, 2022, 3:38:47 PM2/8/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 3:13 PM Matthias Langhammer <matze...@gmail.com> wrote:
Check your preferences in Via. Uncheck the privacy checkbox. On my Mac I‘m never asked by Via if it‘s ok to send audio so it‘s blocked all the time. (https://dev.audinate.com/GA/via/userguide-1-2/webhelp/content/privacy_and_permissions.htm)

Sorry, you meant the Via permission, not the OS's privacy permission. Yes, this is set correctly, otherwise QLab would not show up as an available transmit channel in Controller to begin with.

Again, I appreciate the advice, but I have been back and forth with Audinate support all day, and we are pretty certain it's specific to either QLab+Via or (QLab+Via)*My Computer

-A

Matthias Langhammer

Feb 9, 2022, 5:36:37 AM2/9/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

So no problems with Via. Not on the M1 and not on my old Macbook Pro mid 2015. In can send and recieve audio. On one M1 I first had to send the audio to the 16Ch Dante Via bus. Perhaps that‘s an workaround?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 08.02.2022 um 21:38 schrieb Andy Leviss <an...@soundguyandy.com>:

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp
User Group Code of Conduct: https://qlab.app/code-of-conduct/
---

jamesjen...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2022, 2:16:21 AM2/23/22
to QLab
Hi Andy - I ran into this exact issue (though I'm on an M1, so I was generally less surprised to run into an issue), and here's the solution that worked for me:

-Downloaded the "Blackhole 16ch" virtual audio driver.

-Set the Qlab audio device as "Blackhole 16ch".

-Used Dante Via to put "Blackhole 16ch" on the Dante network.

More obnoxious than just using DVS, and in general I'm wary of "virtual" devices... but as a stopgap for a stopgap, I've found it pretty reliable (for tech table situations).

Best
JamesArd