Qlab to Midas M32

John Keenan

Aug 12, 2019, 12:34:36 PM8/12/19
to QLab
Community Theatre TD/Scenic, Lighting (and by default most of the time) Sound Designer. (and my apologies in advance if my wording/technical details are off, as sound is my least confident production area)
We have the pro version of Qlab, purchased about 3 months ago.
We run off of a 2011 Macbook with thunderbolt, firewire and 2 usb connections. As of now we have run SFX out of the audio jack on the Macbook to XLR to the console.
We are finally now getting our new sound board, a Midas M32.
I am wanting to send my sfx out to any one of our separate outputs on the Midas, and I know I can patch the sends within Qlab, but can I accomplish this through thunderbolt to the Midas USB-B connection on the back?
I'm asking this same question on a Midas Forum as well.
Thanks in advance!!!

Roger

Aug 12, 2019, 8:17:55 PM8/12/19
to QLab
A quick google confirms that the M32 provides -
  • 32 x 32 channel USB 2.0 audio interface
Looks like you need a USB lead.

Drew Schmidt

Aug 12, 2019, 10:24:03 PM8/12/19
to QLab
The M32 comes with an USB remote port, enabling you to control the desk remotely over USB (I much prefer using the Ethernet port and controlling it over the network). There is then an expansion slot. Typically these will come with a DN32-USB card already installed which will provide 32 channels of in and 32 channels of out over USB 2.0 (as Roger said). You can replace this card with other cards, such as the DN32-Dante.

I find the Dante solution much more reliable than the USB. But another very appealing part of the Dante card is that you aren't bound by the USB cable (you have to be close enough to connect the 6ft cable, and no, getting an extension doesn't work). This way your desk can stay installed up in the booth and you can design from the house.

Hopefully that clears up a bit of confusion.

John Baker

Aug 13, 2019, 3:48:51 PM8/13/19
to QLab
John... Haven't worked with the M32 but I have worked with its little brother the X32. You can definitely route sound from Qlab to the board through USB. On of the routing screens will let you choose how many channels to route from the USB card to the board. pretty simple after that.

Corey Hulst

Mar 16, 2023, 2:11:09 PM3/16/23
to QLab
I found this thread.  I am just starting with Qlab on my first show and hooking it up to my X32 and with to run Audio to different channels for back ground and SFX to placed speakers.
Not fully understanding how to patch things.  Any suggestions on tutorials?
TIA for any assistance
Corey