Definition of PEER in triggers "when starting this cue"

Ed Boos

Feb 10, 2021, 11:40:06 AM2/10/21
to ql...@googlegroups.com
When starting a cue with fade peers if the cue is inside a group, only cues inside the same group are affected.
However if the cue is outside a group, other cues and groups seem to be stopped.  I'm confused about the definition of PEER,and LIST, and ALL in this context.

Sam Kusnetz

Feb 10, 2021, 11:56:34 AM2/10/21
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ed

Two cues are peers if they are at the same hierarchical level of your workspace. So:
  • two cues in a list are peers, but two cues in different lists are not peers.
  • two cues in a Group are peers, but two cues in different Groups are not peers.
Also true is this: when Group cue is stopped, it stops its children.

Let me know if that helps, or if you’d like more information!

Best
Sam

––
Sam Kusnetz [he/him/his] (what is this?)
Figure 53
https://qlab.app | https://figure53.com

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp

Ed Boos

Feb 10, 2021, 3:44:44 PM2/10/21
to ql...@googlegroups.com
It seems then, that an addition of a target on that trigger should be a relatively simple change.  So that when starting the action of a cue, a targeted cue, or group, could be faded and stopped.

Sam Kusnetz

Feb 10, 2021, 3:47:10 PM2/10/21
to ql...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 10, 2021, 3:44 PM -0500, ql...@googlegroups.com, wrote:

It seems then, that an addition of a target on that trigger should be a relatively simple change.  So that when starting the action of a cue, a targeted cue, or group, could be faded and stopped.

Hello Ed

That would in fact not be a simple change at all, but it’s a good feature request and I’ll add it to our issue tracker.

Best
Sam

harry.jame...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2021, 3:49:20 PM2/10/21
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I think that an easier way to achieve that behaviour would be to create a timeline group cue containing the original cue, as well as a cue that fades & stops the target cue (or group).

Ed Boos

Feb 10, 2021, 4:22:45 PM2/10/21
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys...  It's good to know you're thinking about it anyway... I had never used that particular trigger, but now I'm doing some camera and mic stuff that means turning on and off cameras and mics so I looked at it, and it's pretty much, all or nothing.  A group cue is a peer to a simple cue, so if a cue outside a group uses this trigger everybody shuts off.  STARTing an isolated START cue inside the group you want to stop, so that the new group ( camera 2 and mic 2) fades in as (camera 1 mic 1) fades out might work.  Put the START cues in one list, and the camera/mic groups in another, or better yet, the STARTs in a CART.

Taylor Glad

Feb 10, 2021, 5:21:52 PM2/10/21
to QLab
The triggers cue does take some structuring to take best advantage, like groups inside groups and separate cue lists. They help to easily address situations where it's hard to anticipate the exact order of things, or for just wanting to be more flexible.
Like you mentioned, I tend to group similar things in different lists, like a separate cue list for every single video surface.

But sometimes I find it easier/better to just make group cues with start and stop cues inside of them (not using any Trigger options) to specifically target certain other cues.
Similarly in other services like Companion (normally used with Streamdeck) you can make one single button start or stop several different but specific QLab cues in a single manual execution. Then all of that specific work is done in Companion instead of QLab.