Re: [QLab] How do you UNBUNDLE to a different machine AND have QLAB find the target files automatically?

raymond soly

Jan 10, 2013, 1:49:01 PM1/10/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
jacob, is it possible your stage manager has in fact open its last save Qlab file as opposed to the newly bundled dropbox show file now downloaded on its desktop?

Ray
On 2013-01-10, at 1:37 PM, Jacob Mishler <mish...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey all! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the situation: rehearsals for the show I'm currently designing are out of town. My stage manager has the free license version of QLAB on his MacBook. We've used my prelim files for rehearsals before on his computer, but I was physically there to help him set it all up step by step. That time, I used a thumb drive to move the bundle folder to his machine. This time, I'm using DropBox. I thought QLAB would find the target files automatically once all the files were on his machine. Doesn't seem to be the case this time. He's having to plug in the targets one by one manually. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance guys!

Jacob

Follow Figure 53 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Figure53

Mark Valenzuela

Jan 10, 2013, 2:06:17 PM1/10/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
The way you've described SHOULD work. In my experience, you do have to be very careful about having multiple bundles of the same project on a computer and multiple versions of audio/video files that have the same names, which may confuse Qlab's targeting. If your SM is receiving new workspaces/bundles from you and still has the old ones floating around that could cause issues.

My advice would be to create an entirely new bundle with the 'save bundle' option through the workspace, and make sure to give it a new name. Ask your SM to delete all files & previous versions. Then ask him to open the new project from the new bundle. QLab should be able to find all targets.

Another thought would be whether the bundle you're sending him does in fact have the targets intact, but does not have the audio device patched in the workspace preferences. This will cause all the cues to have the red X next to them. I've had QLab novices interpret this as having lost the link to the targeted files, when in fact it's just a device patching issue.

Best,
MV

Christopher Ashworth

Jan 10, 2013, 2:11:29 PM1/10/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacob,

When moving a workspace to a new computer, QLab will look for the files in their last position relative to the workspace document. If you transfer the workspace and files in the same folder structure, it should find them. Bundling a workspace is just an easy way to make a folder structure that can be copied over easily.

Best,
Chris

Jeremy Lee

Jan 10, 2013, 2:30:41 PM1/10/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I do this all the time.  It works. With the HUGE caveat that SMs are often and easily confused.  Sometimes, for ease of their use, they like to move the workspace file out of the Dropbox and into their desktop.  This breaks all of the links UNLESS it's moved after it's saved on their machine.  but then, of course, it's broken when you get it back.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Lee
    Sound Designer, NYC - USA 829

Jacob Mishler

Jan 10, 2013, 4:18:07 PM1/10/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all! Sounds like I may have stumbled into several of these pitfalls at once. Next time I update the workspace I'll have the SM delete everything and we'll start fresh with a new bundle! I think this will work. Thanks again!

Jacob