Workspace Settings

Gareth Fry

Jun 20, 2022, 12:43:06 PM6/20/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hiyah,

I have a QLab system running an exhibition, and is largely unattended, being controlled by an Elgato Streamdeck when needed. I’ve been finding that on occasion QLab opens the Workspace Settings window on startup, which then means Stream Deck’s keystrokes don’t trigger hot key cues. I’ve mostly solved this by changing StreamDeck to run AppleScript to trigger cues. However, I’d like to find an AppleScript to ensure that Workspace Settings is closed, so that I can reliably close the workspace.

System Events > keystroke Command-period doesn’t work because that toggles rather than opens or closes the settings.
Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Gareth

Gareth Fry
Sound Designer

07973 352669 | gare...@hotmail.comwww.garethfry.com
Gareth Fry Ltd | Registered in UK, No. 09430786 | VAT No. GB 994736753

https://www.garethfry.co.uk/for-sale

harry.jame...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2022, 1:58:41 PM6/20/22
to QLab
A few thoughts,

This script should close the settings window if it's open (but there might be a better way to do it):

tell application "QLab"

   set theWindows to windows

   repeat with eachWindow in theWindows

       set windowName to name of eachWindow

       if windowName contains "Settings" then

           close eachWindow

       end if

   end repeat

end tell

My main thought is: is there a reason you're not using OSC to trigger cues from the Streamdeck? That would be my go-to.

Finally, this script should quit Qlab whether or not the settings window is open:

tell application "QLab"

   quit saving no

end tell

(or quit saving yes if changes will have been made to the workspace)

micpool

Jun 20, 2022, 3:53:02 PM6/20/22
to QLab
tell application "QLab" to close (first window whose q number contains "settings")

Gareth Fry

Jun 21, 2022, 3:18:08 PM6/21/22
to QLab
Perfect, thanks!

> My main thought is: is there a reason you're not using OSC to trigger cues from the Streamdeck?

Two reasons. Using a StreamDeck as a Go button via OSC, there is an appreciable delay between hitting Go and QLab going, which doesn’t exist for AppleScript: https://youtu.be/QKg6wiiM0Ec
I’m not tested to see if that’s a cause of the Stream Deck OSC plug-in or otherwise.

Though it’s more that where I have a machine being controlled using OSC I want to be able to use the Over-rides button to isolate the machine from the network without losing ability to use scripts and stuff, so I prefer to use ApleScript for internal/local control and leave OSC for external control. FWIW, as OSC control becomes more of a thing I suspect the Overides control might need individual overrides for each Network patch, to allow us to disconnect from controlling lighting but still retain control of other sound devices, for example.

Many thanks,
Gareth

Taylor Glad

Jun 21, 2022, 4:45:13 PM6/21/22
to QLab
"Though it’s more that where I have a machine being controlled using OSC I want to be able to use the Over-rides button to isolate the machine from the network without losing ability to use scripts and stuff, so I prefer to use ApleScript for internal/local control and leave OSC for external control. FWIW, as OSC control becomes more of a thing I suspect the Overides control might need individual overrides for each Network patch, to allow us to disconnect from controlling lighting but still retain control of other sound devices, for example."

That there is why I like sorting OSC cues into different cue lists, and using start cues in the main cue list to trigger them, so that I can disable specific destinations without disabling everything with the override. But individual overrides would be a beautiful feature in the future!