Fade translation for text cues from AppleScript

Ben Glover

Sep 14, 2022, 11:00:46 AM9/14/22
to QLab
Hello,

I'm trying to work out the best way to have a text cue appear and with each new cue the text cue is translated -y 100 pixels. Essentially creating a reverse scrolling animation with each cue until the 5th or 6th cue then it fades out.

I was able to create this manually with groups and multiple fade cues but hoping there's a simpler way with AppleScript

Logically I imagine it to be something like this (with 3 cues as an example).
Q1 - Text1
         fade opacity 100 Text1 0.5 seconds
Q2 - Text2
         fade opacity 100 Text2 0.5 seconds
         fade translation Text1 -100 y 0.5 seconds
Q3 - Text3
         fade opacity 100 Text3 0.5 seconds
         fade translation Text1 -200 y and fade down opacity 0.5 seconds
         fade translation Text2 -100 y 0.5 seconds
etc..

Ideally, I will rework the subtitling cookbook example to create groups containing the text cues and fade cues so I can generate these from around 700 lines.

Thank you.

micpool

Sep 14, 2022, 7:10:12 PM9/14/22
to QLab
Why not put all the lines in a single text cue and just use relative y translations to scroll the text up a line at a time?
You could use a feathered mask to use a soft edged region anywhere on the display

Or if you want to scroll the text up and fade up the new line then use a relative fade on the y translation of an enclosing group ( as in the attached screen recording)

Mic

Scroll.mov

micpool

Sep 14, 2022, 7:11:40 PM9/14/22
to QLab
However I expect what you really want is the example in this attachment, which uses 2 cue lists to allow the overlap of the scrolling and the fading up in place!

You could use a script to autogenerate both cue lists from a text file

MIc

Scroll2.mov

micpool

Sep 14, 2022, 7:22:22 PM9/14/22
to QLab
If you were using a lot of cues (e.g the 700 you say you want to use) you would probably want a repeating script cue to run once a second  when you start the sequence, that would stop the first active text cue if the number of text cues exceeded the number of text cues visible on the screen.

Mic