audio outputs

Kalman Tarr

Mar 21, 2023, 3:44:10 AM3/21/23
to QLab
Hi folks,
I have a simple question.
How to find out how many valid audio outputs have qlab.
Basically two on main board.
But, if I connected an external audio card with 16 outputs. Summarized it is 18. I found the next in OSC dictonary.
I enclosed it as an image to my post .
channels.png
Or something escaped my attention.
Thanks in advence for your help.

Kalman

Sam Kusnetz

Mar 21, 2023, 9:26:50 AM3/21/23
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kalman

This is sort of a vague idea. Are you asking about the total number of device outputs for all devices connected to the Mac? The total number of device outputs for all devices that have audio output patches in the workspace?

What if I have a device with 24 outputs, but I’ve only routed cue outputs to four of them? Should that count as 24 or 4?

Sam
Sam Kusnetz (he/him) | Figure 53

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp

Kalman Tarr

Mar 22, 2023, 4:40:48 AM3/22/23
to QLab
Hi Sam,
I would say, it is 24.
But let's talk about an external device which has only 8 ins/outs. Watching an 'audio cue' audio levels tab in Qlab we can see active and inactive, gray faders  So the system, the Qlab knows somewhere how many active outputs there have.
I would like to get the fader levels. This is the main  demand.
I consider it unnecessary to read all the values  (64, as far as I know), only the levels of  the active fader's are needed. In this aspect, I would need only the number of active faders. This is a silly demand?

Best
Kalman

Chris Ashworth

Mar 22, 2023, 8:25:38 AM3/22/23
to Kalman Tarr, ql...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kalman,

It is not quite as straightforward as that.  The output levels are considered inactive if there is no audio routed to them, which means they can be active or inactive at each individual output channel.

For example, you might have an active output at channel 1, and then another one at channel 64, and all of the others could be gray and inactive.

-C

micpool

Mar 22, 2023, 9:30:23 AM3/22/23
to QLab
On Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at 7:44:10 AM UTC tarr....@gmail.com wrote:
I found the next in OSC dictonary.
I enclosed it as an image to my post .
channels.png

That refers to the number of input channels to a cue, not active cue outputs .

So for a mono file target in an audio cue the reply would be 1, for a stereo file 2, for a 5.1 file 6 etc.

What you want to know is the list  of active cue outputs on the device of a cues audio patch. This list could be any number of cue outputs,  up to 64. Even with a stereo output device, you could have cue output  64  routed in the device patch routing to one of the 2 outputs of the stereo device.

The list of active cue outputs of a cue is buried deep in a json dictionary that is in the reply of the OSC message /settings/audio/ patchList (or the deprecated /cue/{cue number}/patchList).

You can get a tantalising glimpse of it in the  OSC replies log in the  workspace status window like this one which shows the list of cue outputs that have an active routing patch to a 10 channel audio device.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 12.43.54.png

So if you are building a complex piece of software like a QLab remote you could parse these json  dictionaries so your remote would know which sliders to colour yellow to indicate they were active.

I have built a little utility that allows me to send any OSC message as a text string to port 8000,  which gets converted to a proper OSC message, that gets sent to QLab on port 53000, and converts QLab's reply, sent back from port 53001, to text which is then sent in a message /cue/XML/notes {reply as xml text} to QLab.

This can then be parsed by AppleScript text item delimiter's to get any info required, but it is a ridiculously complicated way of getting the info you want.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 13.20.07.png

As you have presumably set up the audio patch routing in  the workspace you are using, you know what channels are in use anyway, so I can't really see the practical application of getting this information from an OSC query.

Perhaps,  if you explain in more detail what you are going to use the information for, someone can suggest a better way of achieving your desired  end result  more simply.

Mic

Kalman Tarr

Mar 25, 2023, 6:35:44 AM3/25/23
to QLab
Ok Mic,

I think this is the moment I really understood the problem. Thank you for your great help.
I have installed Pro Tools on my MAC.
It is generated different audio patches according to enclosed pic.
We can see the solution, there are 16 different Pro Tools audio patches, they are active and from 17th to 18th there are grays the inactives. And the others too.

Thanks for Sam, Rich too.
Honestly
Kalman
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 8.14.17.pngScreenshot 2023-03-23 at 8.11.01.png