Sending Multi-Line Text with Line Breaks from QLab 5

Tommy

Jul 5, 2024, 11:59:55 AMJul 5
to QLab
Hi,

I want to send a multi-line text (string) from QLab 5's OSC to Resolume's text effect while preserving the line breaks.

For example:

sample text 1
sample text 2
sample text 3
sample text 4

Sending a single line works fine.
(e.g., /composition/layers/1/clips/1/video/effects/texteffect/effect/text/params/lines "sample text")
By the way, in QLab 4, it was possible to send text with line breaks by using 'option + return'. However, in QLab 5, an error occurs and the OSC address itself disappears.
Has the specification changed?

Regards,
Tommy

micpool

Jul 5, 2024, 2:12:29 PMJul 5
to QLab
I can confirm your observation about QLab 4
In Qlab 5 the only work around I can find is to put your text in the notes of the cue with line breaks and use do something like this

/composition/layers/2/clips/5/video/effects/textblock/effect/text/params/lines "#/cue/1/notes#"

Richard Williamson

Jul 5, 2024, 2:16:27 PMJul 5
to QLab
Don’t know how resolume would interpret it but you may find success by sending \r or \n in place of the line break (ie /cue/1 “sample text 1\r sample text 2"

Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Threads: https://threads.net/@QLabApp
User Group Code of Conduct: https://qlab.app/code-of-conduct/
---

micpool

Jul 5, 2024, 2:19:23 PMJul 5
to QLab
It interprets it literally!

Mic

Tommy

Jul 5, 2024, 2:31:15 PMJul 5
to QLab
Thank you, Mic.

I see, indeed it worked your way! (It feels like there's an extra step involved, though.)
I wonder why something that worked in QLab 4 stopped working...
Message has been deleted

Tommy

Jul 5, 2024, 2:34:44 PMJul 5
to QLab
Thanks, Richard.

Actually, I had already tried that. But as Mic mentioned, it just gets sent as a long long string without breaking.

Rich Walsh

Jul 6, 2024, 9:52:59 AMJul 6
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I had a quick look at what was going on at packet level. QLab 4 is parsing a linefeed in the argument to send the 0A byte (correctly). QLab 5 appears to have been tightened up to not allow you to enter a linefeed in an argument, and there seems to be no way of including an escape character to generate 0A instead… (Except indirectly via Mic’s solution.)

You could send it as raw hex, but that would be even more steps!

Rich

Chris Ashworth

Jul 6, 2024, 10:22:51 AMJul 6
to ql...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, we have some issues tracking this in both the private QLab issue tracker and the public F53OSC issue tracker:

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Threads: https://threads.net/@QLabApp
User Group Code of Conduct: https://qlab.app/code-of-conduct/
---

Tommy

Jul 6, 2024, 10:25:58 AMJul 6
to QLab
Hi Rich,

Thank you for your investigation.

It seems that some changes were made to the OSC specifications when updating from QLab 4 to QLab 5, though the reasons are unclear.

Obviously, Mic's suggested method is easier than using raw HEX! (Though it would be great if it could go back to the way it was. Haha.)

Tommy

Tommy

Jul 6, 2024, 10:28:21 AMJul 6
to QLab