Lower thirds with alpha example

sco...@tekproductions.com

Sep 22, 2022, 1:21:09 PM9/22/22
to QLab
I've been playing with the new video capabilities in Lab 5, and wow am I impressed!  I've been seeing how far I can push the effects, and see what can be done entirely in Qlab, and I came up with this sample lower third. Not the greatest graphic design, but oh well. Some interesting things to note:
There is no external media - everything is generated with text cues (the unicode character palette is your friend!)
There are 2 outputs - one for RGB and one for an alpha - the Color Matrix effect is great for manipulating the channels. I haven't tested it with the key inputs on a switcher yet, but it looks correct. You can even get a quasi-straight (unmultiplied) RGB output by playing with the Color Matrix effect on the RGB output.
You can do some crazy stuff by stacking effects - check out the Texture Fill cue!
The new Playlist group is great for repeating fade cues for continuous or looping motion.
So much more to explore!

--Scott

Chris Ashworth

Sep 26, 2022, 9:05:07 AM9/26/22
to sco...@tekproductions.com, ql...@googlegroups.com
This is fantastic Scott, thanks so much for sharing it.

Had one of those “I didn’t know you could do that with the thing we made!” moments while running this workspace, and then enjoyed digging in to see how you’d done it.

-C

Kinetic Screen

Sep 27, 2022, 10:59:12 PM9/27/22
to QLab
Hey Scott, that's very cool, especially with the splitting out the alpha for external compositing.
We were doing something similar back with custom compositions, so seeing how you managed to make the background look like it was 'wiping' in was very useful!