How do I Run a random cue from a group every 30 seconds using script.

Robyn Just Robyn

Jun 14, 2024, 2:20:51 PMJun 14
to QLab
Hi. I'm just trying to write my very first QLab script, but have no clue how it works, despite several days of hard googling..
How on earth do you get an actual cue into a variable? I see lots of theCue variable names, but I can't see how to associate a value (or cue/file) with those variables?
Also - I'm trying to create a group of sound cues, which will run infinitely, and will trigger a random cue from that group every 30 seconds.  Anyone know how to do this?
I'd be so appreciative of any help.
Many thanks
Robyn

blindeye 1995

Jun 14, 2024, 2:57:17 PMJun 14
to QLab
why do you even want to write a script for that ? i made for you an example with wait cues. take a look

with king regards
max

Start 30 sec example.qlab5

Robyn Just Robyn

Jun 14, 2024, 5:32:52 PMJun 14
to QLab
Hey Max,
Thanks for your answer.

I wanted to do a script as I want this to run for 30 minutes, and want to run a background music, with random sounds happening over the top for half an hour.  At any one time there would be 2 or 3 running, so it was a lot to add them all to a sequence. I thought if I could automate it with a random cue and time generator in the script, it would be much more effective, less work if changes needed to be made (and have to edit every cue, when there will be over 100), and also I want to learn to script.

I like your method for looping a group - I've never thought of that and have often wondered how I could loop a whole group.  And there it is.  I will most definitely be stealing that nice idea from you.  hehe.  Thank you for that.

But I would love to do a script for this one.  I don't want it to sound looped.

Thanks again, and take care.

robyn

Weaselspoon

Jun 15, 2024, 5:17:50 AMJun 15
to QLab
I wouldn't use scripting for this either. I'd have a big group with all your sound effects in it set as Start random. Then I'd have a cue that was 'start that group' with a 30s prewait in a playlist group on its own set to loop until stopped. Every 30s the start cue fires a sound effect.

Does that do the job you want?

Robert
30sRandom.zip