Audio reactive DMX

Erik Rosales

Jan 24, 2019, 2:55:28 AM1/24/19
to QLab
More DMX questions...

Is there any way of drag in a audio track to QLab and make the bass frequency for example control intensity of a light? So that the volume of the track and a specific frequency. And it would be even nicer if it could override the normal intensity so that you could:

- Set a intensity at for example 50% and now have a audio file make a beat of everything over 50%
- But as soon as the beat stops the light is back to 50%.

Or have any of you guys achieved something similar via another program together with QLab?

All the best. Erik

ysol...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2019, 6:58:46 PM1/24/19
to QLab

micpool

Jan 25, 2019, 10:56:28 AM1/25/19
to QLab
Yes

Like this (workspace attached)

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 15.50.55.png

AUDIO is an audio cue routed to your loudspeakers

TRIG Is an AUDIO cue routed to cue output 10 which is matrixed in the device matrix to be silent

TRIG has an Apple AU bandpass filter and a dynamics plugin effect to isolate the kick drum

The network cue continuously reads the level of the TRIG audio using an OSC query and modulates dimmer 1 on the dashboard.

Mic
Sound to Light.zip

Erik Rosales

Jan 25, 2019, 3:43:04 PM1/25/19
to QLab
Micpool, that's fantastic : ) And thanks Ray for pointing out more solutions...

Mic, the zip you have attached does not have any QLab file thou... Any chance you could make that part of the zip?

micpool

Jan 25, 2019, 5:36:41 PM1/25/19
to QLab
Sorry, don't know what happened with that bundle

Here it is again

Mic
Sound to DMX Light.zip

Eoin Murphy

Jan 25, 2019, 9:04:59 PM1/25/19
to QLab
Bravo Mic Pool !

Johan

Jan 26, 2019, 4:19:21 PM1/26/19
to QLab
This was fun!
I downloaded your file Mic and it works great, even though I don´t really understand how ...
There´s some voodoo going on in this line I guess: "/dashboard/setLight 1 #/cue/TRIG/liveAverageLevel/10 30 100#"

But since I hardly ever use Qlab for lighting (its still a bit too messy for big rigs I think)
I wonder if something similar could be done controlling Midi velocity? That could then trigger an external lightingconsole.

I didnt get far in my experimenting with Midi control change messages cause I dont really understand how your OSC thing works.
But it ought to be possible I guess. Or am I being ignorantly optimistic now again?

micpool

Jan 26, 2019, 5:18:20 PM1/26/19
to QLab
MIDI velocity of a note or MIDI control change message?

If its a MIDI note on, when a threshold audio level is exceeded you are really limited to just triggering a light on, as you can’t really guess how loud the audio is going to be at the moment the threshold is exceeded?.

How does a,MIDI triggered light switch off on your MIDI controlled lighting desk?.

Mic

micpool

Jan 27, 2019, 12:22:03 PM1/27/19
to QLab
Here is the definitive version, which will control lights in the dashboard and sen MIDI cc for each light to an external lighting board or other device:

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 16.58.58.png

A drum loop in an audio cue sends its output to speakers (with a little Apple AU sample delay to compensate for processing latency on the lights.

3 copies of this audio cue are routed to cue output 10 silently. (Cue output 10 is set to -59dB in the output matrix for the patch)

Each of these copies has an AU Bandpass filter applied to isolate the desired frequencies for each light and an Apple AU dynamics processor which gates, compresses and adjusts gain and attack and release times.

The lights are driven by 3 Network cues with OSC queries which get the output levels of Cue output 10 from each of the 3 processed audio cues and converts these to a dashboard lighting level between the min and max levels  specified in the query

The lighting Patch is set up to send MIDI feedback on CC1-23, which may be useful to Johan, who wants to use this to drive an external hardware lighting console.

On my machine I get about 13 values per second on each CC MIDI output.

Attached is a video of the whole thing tootling along.

Mic

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 7:55:28 AM UTC, Erik Rosales wrote:
Sound to Lighting Dashboard and MIDI CC.zip
Sound to Light.mov

Johan

Jan 28, 2019, 12:32:15 PM1/28/19
to QLab

Great!

The definitive version had a few misspellings, but after I found them it worked great.

One patched light sent MIDI over ch 11.
And I think the first of three triggering OSC cues had the number 30 left. So when I stopped the loop that one stayed in 30% level while the other two faded out very nicely.

I ran it in LXConsole and attach a file with three subs recorded, just so test with.
-
Thank You Mic.
I had no idea one could attach Midi like that to a patched channel.
lightorgan 3 subs.lxcues

Erik Rosales

Feb 5, 2019, 5:28:07 AM2/5/19
to QLab
Thank you so much for this Micpool! Its such a great tool to be able to create light via sound... Much appreciated : )