MIDI transport controls.

Scott F. Thompson

Jul 15, 2021, 6:25:00 PM7/15/21
to QLab
Hello, just trying to trigger G0, pause etc.  commads via MIDI Note on.

Coming in, MIDI is no trouble, I have a few dozen controllers to test, MIDI pipe to adjust and every other software accepting MIDI with no trouble.

typing in the midi note number in Qlab midi controls settings doesn't seem to do anything, and hitting the "Capture" button AKA MIDI Learn say's

"waiting..." in yellow,  and then just goes blank as soon as a MIDI note comes in.  So connection is there, cooperation is not.
I must be missing something simple, I'm hoping someone else has seen this and has an answer.

Ok, thank you :)

micpool

Jul 15, 2021, 6:46:31 PM7/15/21
to QLab
To trouble shoot this, install Snoize MIDI Monitor and captureMIDI in QLab  and see what shows up in the monitor window

Mic

Maik Waschfeld

Jul 16, 2021, 3:02:37 AM7/16/21
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

trying to trigger G0, pause etc.  commads via MIDI Note on.

I strongly recommend not using „Note On“-messages unless you really need to, as they are not intended for these type of switching actions.

I’d recommend using „1 byte“-messages, like „Program Change“.

typing in the midi note number in Qlab midi controls settings doesn't seem to do anything,

Do the MIDI channels match to your sending device?
„Listen on MIDI Channel:“ in the Workspace’s settings belongs to the „Use ‚Musical‘ MIDI Controls“, which has to be switched on, separately.

In QLab, so you switch to „Note On“ and type „120“ (or something) to the „Byte 1“-field?
In this case, you have to add „ANY“ to the „Byte 2“-field.

Another thing to consider, is that some devices start counting with „1“, amd sending „0“, which is MIDI-  and QLab-standard.

 just goes blank as soon as a MIDI note comes in.  So connection is there, cooperation is not.

What device and controller on it do you actually use to send the „Note On"?
Some keyboards send a „Note Off“ on release as „Note On“ with velocity „0“ (= „Byte 2“).

Besides that, Mic’s hint on „MIDI Monitor“ is excellent, as always.
It reallly helps to debug these type of „errors“.

With kindest regards…
…Maik Waschfeld

(sent from my MBPro16,2)
also at <mailto:Maik.Wa...@Staatstheater-Stuttgart.de>

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp

micpool

Jul 16, 2021, 4:32:40 AM7/16/21
to QLab
QLab also has its own MIDI monitoring, in the Workspace Status Menu.
he fact that when you press capture it says waiting and then goes blank when you trigger it tends to suggest that what you are sending is not a  valid note on, note off, Program Change, or Control Change message.

You can cause this incorrect behaviour by selecting capture and sending a Pitch bend,

Mic

micpool

Jul 16, 2021, 4:35:59 AM7/16/21
to QLab
You also mention MIDI pipe. Try without this, as it offers endless opportunities for changing valid MIDI to MIDI outputs QLab might not recognise.

Mic

Scott F. Thompson

Jul 16, 2021, 2:04:31 PM7/16/21
to QLab
Ok, thank you all.  it was the MSC input override control set off that was halting things this time.

micpool

Jul 16, 2021, 6:19:05 PM7/16/21
to QLab
Good that you got it sorted, but MSC Input being off wouldn't stop Musical MIDI input being captured.

If instead Musical MIDI input was off then capture would just remain in a waiting state.

As far as I can see the only thing that would cause the waiting state to be cancelled during a capture, with no result,  would be the receipt of a Musical MIDI message that wasn't one of the commands  listed in the triggers pop up e.g Pitch Bend.

Mic

Maik Waschfeld

Jul 16, 2021, 6:26:11 PM7/16/21
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

 it was the MSC input override control set off

MSC = MIDI Show Control, is completely independent and unrelated to the ‚Musical‘ MIDI-type events, you wanted to use.