DMX Channels

CHNL

Jan 28, 2023, 7:01:32 AM1/28/23
to QLab
Hi,

Am working in QLAB 4 and close to a show, therefore not willing to upgrade to v5.
Is it possible in QLAB4 to assign the same DMX address to multiple lights?
I'm aware of and am using light multiple lights in a single group.

  1. Can I assign the same DMX address to the multiple channels? E.g. I have a group of 4 blue lights (dimmer) and they always work together at the same time. Can I in that case assign all 4 lights to, for instance, channel 12?
  2. If the above is not possible, can I assign a DMX address to a light group?
Thx
CH

Philip Glenn

Jan 28, 2023, 9:10:36 AM1/28/23
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hello. If I understand your question, yes. But assigning the DMX addresses to multiple instruments happens at the light itself, not QLab. The program doesn’t really know or care.

Philip

On Jan 28, 2023, at 6:01 AM, CHNL <cees.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:

Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp
User Group Code of Conduct: https://qlab.app/code-of-conduct/
---

Cees Hol

Jan 28, 2023, 9:50:20 AM1/28/23
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Question is indeed related to "inside QLAB": from earlier experience I understand that QLAB could not work with assigning the same DMX address to multiple fixtures inside QLAB. But I believe I follow your thoughts: if for instance 4 physical fixtures (simple dimmers) get the same address and I have a single light set up in QLAB with the same address, that single light in QLAB will control all 4 physical fixtures. Correct?

Gr
Cees

Sam Kusnetz

Jan 28, 2023, 11:39:50 AM1/28/23
to ql...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 28, 2023 at 9:50:05 AM, Cees Hol <cees.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
Question is indeed related to "inside QLAB": from earlier experience I understand that QLAB could not work with assigning the same DMX address to multiple fixtures inside QLAB. But I believe I follow your thoughts: if for instance 4 physical fixtures (simple dimmers) get the same address and I have a single light set up in QLAB with the same address, that single light in QLAB will control all 4 physical fixtures. Correct?

That is correct. If you set your four dimmers to all use address 6, and then you create a single instrument in QLab which is patched to address 6, then all four dimmers will respond to that instrument.

Sam
Sam Kusnetz (he/him) | Figure 53