Video Fade In problem(Bug?)

Boz Konta

Sep 16, 2022, 12:43:42 PM9/16/22
to QLab
Hi there!
First, sorry for my English.

My problem in short:
In QLab 5.0.3
- I put one video file on a timeline in a group.
- Set group Mode to Timeline
- Set the Video file Geometry/Opacity to 0%
- Put a fade cue after the video cue
- Set the fade cue geometry/Opacity to 100%
- Play the group cue
- The video fade in as excepted
IF
- The fade in cue BEFORE the Video cue
- Start Group
- The video just "pop" out after fade time goes.
Tried with other encoding video files
h264/prores-444/prores-proxy-hap encoding
the problem is same.
I have older projects where they are like this, and it works there fine.

Tried on 2020 iMac and M1 Macbook Pro.
Both has MacOS Monterey 12.6

Thank you for your attention!

Jelle van Setten

Sep 18, 2022, 3:42:52 AM9/18/22
to QLab
I have the same issue with fading out video. It flickers one time before fading

Boz Konta

Sep 18, 2022, 8:37:57 AM9/18/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
My problem is when fading IN the videó cue, just ám image, and the fade cue doesn't set to stop after fade.

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp

Alex Palma

Oct 3, 2022, 1:03:26 AM10/3/22
to QLab
hey team- adding to the noise here lol-

I am experiencing similar issues in QLab 5.05, but I experience this with Text Cues. A Qlab file with the issue is attached. Basically if the text is above the fade cue in a timeline group it works, but if if it is below it does not work.

As a separate issue, I also appear to get the single video flicker when pre-waits are added to group or auto-followed cues that fade in video. (opacity).

graciasss
FadeInText.qlab5
Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 10.58.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.59.08 PM.png

Jelle van Setten

Oct 5, 2022, 3:18:38 AM10/5/22
to QLab
Same here. Video fade in and fade out fades with a flicker first. Workaround for now with the fade out is setting the oppacity of the video file on 99%. Then use the fade out. That works for now. Would be great if they fix this soon...

Chris Ashworth

Oct 5, 2022, 4:36:06 AM10/5/22
to Jelle van Setten, ql...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jelle,

Please contact us at sup...@figure53.com with details about this issue — yours is only the second report I’ve heard about this in the last couple of days, and we can’t fix what we don’t know about.

Thanks,

On October 5, 2022 at 3:18:42 AM, Jelle van Setten (je...@jvsequipment.nl) wrote:

Same here. Video fade in and fade out fades with a flicker first. Workaround for now with the fade out is setting the oppacity of the video file on 99%. Then use the fade out. That works for now. Would be great if they fix this soon...

Tommy

Oct 5, 2022, 11:46:37 AM10/5/22
to QLab
About the flash at the start of the fade in, I recently had a similar problem, and reported it in another thread.
https://groups.google.com/g/qlab/c/RCj-DSoF9v8/m/KX4QYVW2BgAJ

Chris Ashworth

Oct 5, 2022, 11:49:22 AM10/5/22
to Tommy, ql...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, but please also write to sup...@figure53.com with details about your hardware, codecs, steps to reproduce, etc.

Thanks!

-C

Andy Leviss

Oct 5, 2022, 12:37:55 PM10/5/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 12:43 PM Boz Konta <kon...@gmail.com> wrote:

IF
- The fade in cue BEFORE the Video cue
- Start Group
- The video just "pop" out after fade time goes.

For what it's worth, I am 99% sure this is not a new "problem", or at least it was a "problem" early in v4 that may or may not have been fixed at some point in the v4 lineage. Back when I was on the support team, I definitely ran into this issue with a couple v4 users. The issue was that earlier versions of QLab for some reason processed cues in such a way that a fade cue that was triggered simultaneously but came before it's target in the cue list worked properly, even though that's not really a technically valid cue sequence (see below). Something in v4 changed in a way that causes issues like this to happen. What I am not sure of is whether anything was changed to make it work as users with that unorthodox cue sequencing expected.

I say "problem" in quotes and that it technically is an invalid cue sequence because my opinion then, and now (with only the weight of myself as a user, these days, LOL), was that it was not a bug. You can't perform an action on a cue that hasn't started yet, and since QLab processes simultaneously triggered cues in the order they exist in the cue list, the fade is attempting to act on a cue that hasn't yet started.

A similar thing would happen if you were cuing a human who performs the cues in the order on their cue sheet/script. Imagine you had a playback operator and a separate mix engineer, as is not uncommon on some busier musicals. If you cue the playback operator to start the cue, and then the mixer to start fading the playback channel in, it'll work fine. If you cue the mixer first, however, the level is going to jump in at wherever in the course of the fade the mixer was when the playback operator got the cue started. It will be unpredicatable exactly when in the fade it'll pop in, depending on exactly how quickly each is triggered.

So...arguably, if this is the same issue, the old behavior was the bug, and the current behavior is "things working as expected".

Of course, these days I'm just an end user, so that's only my personal opinion :o)

-Andy

Chad Sellers

Oct 12, 2022, 5:13:10 PM10/12/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to the person who emailed us about this issue and helped us track it down, I believe we may have a fix to the flash when starting video output. For anyone who's run into that problem - would you mind trying this beta release:

Let us know if it helps your case or not.

Thanks,
Chad Sellers
Figure 53