Controlling TV monitors via QLab 5 with IP2IR-P

Tommy

Aug 21, 2024, 6:23:28 AMAug 21
to QLab
Hi there,

I am considering purchasing the iTach IP2IR-P, a device that allows sending infrared signals over Ethernet (TCP/IP). I want to control the power on/off of 2-3 consumer TV monitors on stage from QLab 5 to completely blackout.
Has anyone used this device before? Also, is the setup difficult?

Thank you,
Tommy

Ian MacColl

Aug 22, 2024, 8:02:00 AMAug 22
to QLab
I've used an IP2IR to debug non-QLab control of an Epson projector and a Somfy screen controller, using Global Cache's apps rather than the API

IR control seems to be a fairly black art and I suggest using RS232 or LAN if possible

I was able to control the Somfy but not the Epson even though I had a working Epson remote and I also had a second IR learner

I gave up and controlled the Epson via RS232

I don't regret acquiring the hardware, and as a counterpoint, I've seen an IP2IR used to control Samsung commercial displays from QSYS, so perhaps I should have persisted

I hope this is useful

regards

Ian

Tommy

Aug 22, 2024, 4:37:38 PMAug 22
to QLab
Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for your valuable insights!

I have been using Cypress Technology's CIR-03 and CIR-12 (https://www.cypress.com.tw/en/Product/Video/Extenders/CIR-03, https://www.cypress.com.tw/en/Product/Video/Extenders/CIR-12) to control the power on/off of TVs on stage, and they have worked well so far. However, since the remote control operation is manual, as the number of TVs and cues increases, it becomes very labor-intensive, and the operators were struggling. When I came across the IP2IR-P, I thought that if I could incorporate infrared control into QLab's cue list and trigger it with the Go button, it would greatly increase flexibility and make show control much smoother and more convenient.

For devices with RS-232C or LAN ports that can be controlled, I am already doing that myself. In particular, recent projectors from Epson and Panasonic often have Art-Net control implemented, which allows for more detailed control compared to RS-232C or PJLink, and this has been very helpful.

Most consumer TVs, like those typically found in households, do not have serial ports, but they do have LAN ports. So, perhaps it is not impossible to directly control them via QLab with Wake-on-LAN or input switching (though I doubt this would be covered in the manual, haha). I would also like to test this separately from the IP2IR-P. Thanks again!

Best,
Tommy

Tommy

Sep 10, 2024, 8:41:32 AMSep 10
to QLab

José Miguel Mayoral

Oct 5, 2024, 8:10:33 AMOct 5
to QLab
In one installation I have used Ir wifi adapters to turn on 10 televisions that are hung about 14 meters high. It works well but sometimes I can't get all the devices to connect properly and it takes me some time to get it to work. I have been looking into the possibility of using Ir splitters but I don't know how much I can extend the signal from the transmitters. The system I see in the post extends the signal via ethernet and then you can connect three transmitters, is that correct? Have you looked at a similar device? I'm looking for more options.

Tommy

Oct 5, 2024, 9:36:34 AMOct 5
to QLab
Hi,

In my case, I ran Ethernet cables from FOH to the stage, hid an IP2IR-P within the set, and extended 3.5mm jack IR Emitters to the infrared receivers of each monitor.
The device has 3 ports, so it’s possible to send independent or identical signals to 3 devices (one of the ports can also be configured for an IR Blaster, it seems).

Since your TVs are mounted 14 meters high, you might still be able to extend the signal using around 20 meters of stereo mini cable, though signal attenuation could be a factor.

Additionally, the same manufacturer offers a WiFi2IR model that replaces the Ethernet component with WiFi. I haven’t used it myself, but it also comes with 3 infrared ports.

I hope my humble English gets the message across.