Triggering a Cue in Grandma from Qlab

José Miguel Mayoral

Jan 15, 2023, 8:51:32 AM1/15/23
to QLab
Hi. I have a question when firing Grandma cues from Qlab. What is more secure or reliable? use midi or network Grandma and Qlab?
I would like to fire an Osc cue on Qlab and have it trigger a Cue on Grandma. How would it be done? Thanks
Thanks

José Miguel Mayoral

Jan 15, 2023, 12:29:05 PM1/15/23
to QLab
I got connection from Qlab to Onpc. I can see i receive signal in the MSC in monitor but i don't know how to fire the Show cues.

Daan Hazendonk

Jan 23, 2023, 2:49:32 AM1/23/23
to QLab
HI José,

I've done this many many times for many shows and I always use MSC (Midi Show Control) to do this.
This ONLY regards GrandMa2 and not 3 since MSC is not implemented YET in the GMA3 software (funny isn't it?)

There's are a few weird things going on.

I am using "Device ID" 0 (zero) on Qlab, but in the GMA2 software sometimes receives a DIFFERENT "Device ID". So you'd have to set up the "Device ID" number you see in the "MSC-in monitor" on GMA as the "MSC IN DEVICE".

I have to use "TIMED_GO" and add the fade-time in Qlab to make cues fade in the right time. I don't know why but the GMA seems to use some kind of standard fade time and does not take account of the fade-times that are programmed. When you select TIMED_GO in Qlab you can enter the right fade-time in seconds / frames. This has to be done in a 24-frames-per-second manner. So a fade time of 0.5 sec would be 12 frames. Very complicated, please read https://help2.malighting.com/Page/grandMA2/remote_control_msc/en/3.3 and find the section of 04 (Timed_Go):

Then THIRDLY you'd have to enter the Q number INCLUDING three digits behind the separator (.)

Cue 1 in GMA would be 1.000 in Qlab
Cue 2.5 in GMA would be 2.500 in Qlab
Cue 222.22 in GMA would be 222.220 in Qlab

Good luck!

Jonas

Jan 23, 2023, 9:01:24 AM1/23/23
to QLab
MA3 supports OSC. Works great with Qlab. No need to wait for MSC.

Jonas

Jan 23, 2023, 9:02:22 AM1/23/23
to QLab