Multiple OSC queries in one, combined with live translations, producing strange results

FL K

Jun 5, 2024, 12:13:01 PMJun 5
to QLab
Hi lovely folks at F53, (and others who might have experienced similar),

in a bi-lingual show with many surtitles (some vanilla text/title cues, some video sequences), I wanted to provide the surtitle operator a means by which they can do two things:
- slowly follow the actor with the subtitle around on stage if they move during speaking (but with the position not to change, so that the subtitle starts in the same place next time again)
- as blocking progresses to a more settled state, able to quickly save the current live state of translation x,y and scale x,y

I built myself a little controller with a centred joystick and a centred throttle, a go button and a save button - made a vuo patch that reads, scales, smooths the movement, and pass on appropriate OSC messages to QLab.

The controller works well with the live movement part, and with the save button only saves the ephemeral transformation if the button is pressed...

For the live movement part, the controller sends (using active so that the playhead can be ready on the next cue, and because the surtitles will live by themselves in a separate QLab file):

/cue/active/translation/x/+/live

/cue/active/translation/y/+/live

/cue/active/scale/x/+/live

/cue/active/scale/y/+/live

The positive or negative values from the three potentiometers that make up the joystick and the throttle (when they are not in their centre/idle state) are added live to the existing values as per the messages above.

When it comes to saving, I am trying to call the following (one on button down, one on button up, just to seperate the messages):

/cue/active/scale #/cue/active/scale/x/live# #/cue/active/scale/y/live#

/cue/active/translation #/cue/active/translation/x/live# #/cue/active/translation/y/live#

(I tried querying without the axises in the second part of the command, but the returned array/list of 2 values does not seem to work being sent back as 2 values).

Where this seems to work fine is the scale, but the translation does something strange - it seems to not get the accurate absolute values, and instead seems to only apply minimal changes IF I have used the joystick beetween the last time the save button was called and now, and then only in a much lesser magnitude of change, so not reflecting the full change as the current live position; the effect is that it "jumps", away from the current live position to somewhere close to the previously saved position.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is there a bug?

Thanks for checking it out :)!