Midi cue (prog ram change)

Mark Firestone

Sep 13, 2022, 8:58:35 AM9/13/22
to QLab
trying to send midi cue (program change) FROM QLab TO Soundcraft si Expression 3 console. 10 separate scene cues for fader changes are set up on console, channel 1, program change 1 thru 10.

How to see 'device'. should I see a device to select once I connect cables into the console?
Cabliing is USB out of QLab macbook pro to a MOTU Midi box, then Midi cable OUT of MOTU box into midi IN on the console.

Anyone have experience with this ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Adam Burgess

Sep 13, 2022, 9:26:14 AM9/13/22
to QLab
If you're going 5 pin MIDI from the MOTU to the sound desk, you should see the MOTU as a USB MIDI device, along with how many MIDI outs it has. Choose the output that the sound desk is connected to. Do this by making the Soundcraft  output a MIDI patch in the settings window.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mark Firestone

Sep 14, 2022, 8:08:27 PM9/14/22
to QLab
Thank you for weighing in! Much appreciated.
Another question... I set up the midi program change cues in QLab. I made them program changes and set the channel and program values.
They did not trigger fader changes on the console.
What I forgot to do was go in to settings and under 'Midi' add the devices there. Since I did not do that, would that cause the failure
to trigger the fader change cues on the console?
(I am not at the sound board now so I can't test that theory)
Thanks much,

Adam Burgess

Sep 15, 2022, 3:26:29 AM9/15/22
to QLab
Hey, no worries.

So, yes. You have to 'globally' set the MOTU's outputs as MIDI Patches in Settings for that QLab show.
Then, for each MIDI cue, set the MIDI Destination as the Patch you just set, where the desk is plugged in to.

MIDI Monitor is a great little free app that can intercept MIDI messages, and will tell you what's coming out of QLab and where it's being sent to - if QLab is sending out correctly, it could be a routing issue with the MOTU filtering or routing to a different output etc. Not familiar with anything recent by them, but my iConnectivity stuff is fairly comprehensive (read: Confusing!)).

Just tick everything on under Sources at the window's top in MIDI Monitor. It'll give you From and To info with the message and port stuff.