of topic - simple recording and editing for the mac

Andy Dolph

May 23, 2022, 11:58:38 AM5/23/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

Please excuse this off topic request, but I thought this group would be likely to have good answers.

I'm looking for a very simple, inexpensive, easy to use Mac app that someone can use to record speech and do some very minimal editing.  This is for a smart, but non technical human who wants to do quick and dirty audio recordings to post online.

Ideally something they can open, hit record, make a few small edits (IE trim the beginning and end, or if they flub something badly, they can cut it out) and save a .wav or aiff file.

Obviously Garage Band can do it, but it's so much more than they need or want for this and it means "sharing" rather than "saving" the file which I think is confusing.  So is there something you guys recommend for this kind of thing?

Thanks!

Andy

Chris Ashworth

May 23, 2022, 12:00:50 PM5/23/22
to Andy Dolph, ql...@googlegroups.com
I’m very interested to hear what other folks say, but for what it’s worth I have used and enjoyed Sound Studio:

-C

micpool

May 23, 2022, 12:01:05 PM5/23/22
to QLab
This might not be considered inexpensive but...

Twisted Wave with the Speech option actually performs speech recognition on recordings and lays the words against the waveform, which is rather nifty.

Mic

Gordon P. Howell, Jr.

May 23, 2022, 12:05:53 PM5/23/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Twisted Wave is inexpensive and not overly complex.  It has met my needs for many years.

Geep

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp

Philip Perkins

May 23, 2022, 12:25:35 PM5/23/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com, Andy Dolph
Reaper or Audacity

On May 23, 2022, at 9:00 AM, Chris Ashworth <ch...@figure53.com> wrote:

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp
User Group Code of Conduct: https://qlab.app/code-of-conduct/
---

May 23, 2022, 12:54:10 PM5/23/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com, Andy Dolph
Doesn’t Voice Memos exist on the Mac now?  It has some of that functionality.

Alexander

On May 23, 2022, at 12:25 PM, 'Philip Perkins' via QLab <ql...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Caution - This email is from outside ORCSD. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
The Right-To-Know Law provides that most e-mail communications to or from School District employees regarding the business of the School District are government records available to the public upon request. Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.

aroom

May 23, 2022, 12:59:15 PM5/23/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Check Ocean Audio https://www.ocenaudio.com

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp
User Group Code of Conduct: https://qlab.app/code-of-conduct/
---

Mark Valenzuela

Sam Kusnetz

May 23, 2022, 1:02:30 PM5/23/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Ocean Audio looks cool, but I do want to raise a warning flag… the website copyright date is 2015 and the last version of macOS that it claims compatibility with is Mojave (10.15) which came out in 2018.

This doesn’t necessarily mean anything is wrong, but I felt it was worth mentioning in case anyone didn’t notice that.

Best
Sam

Sam Kusnetz (he/him) | Figure 53

aroom

May 23, 2022, 2:43:12 PM5/23/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
On the download section you’ll get an ARM M1 version for macOS Big Sur and +

Philip Glenn

May 23, 2022, 4:12:16 PM5/23/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I like Twisted Wave quite a bit. I use it for voice overs and for audio editing.

Philip Glenn

nat...@ramserv.com

May 23, 2022, 9:51:01 PM5/23/22
to QLab
I like QuickTime for recording and Audacity for simple editing. Both free.

Andy Dolph

May 25, 2022, 2:37:02 PM5/25/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone!!