-->EXTRA : New wireless controller for QLab : EXTRA<--

Erik Rosales

Apr 20, 2020, 11:27:48 AM4/20/20
to QLab
Hey there QLab forum!

Ive been kickstarting a Swedish controller for quite a few times now. The Flic button. And when I got their latest upgraded button I contacted the crew over at Shotcut Labs to ask if they could implement some extra features to an upcoming show we are creating with my group Sirqus Alfon. Ive been working a lot with their previous versions but felt there where quite a few important things I wanted to ad. Since Im also living in Stockholm where they have their headquarters, I set up a meeting with them... And they've listened!

Skärmavbild 2020-04-20 kl. 12.53.46.png

So now the button can send OSC messenger across any network!

They've also added a super low latency mode so that all the clicks are reacting with zero lag. And now you can monitor the Flic battery status, so that you won't start a show with low battery,,,

IMG_1536-denoise-sharpen-sharpen.jpg

I wanted to share this with all of you guys, since this is my main place of getting fresh and great ideas on how to solve QLab matters ⚡️Lets keep up that sharing spirit!!!

Hope you guys like it. And since Im in contact straight with the developers, you could comment in this thread, if you want to have other features added as well (I can't promise that they will do as we please, but at least I have their attention 😎)

Here is a link to their website:

All the best. Erik and Sirqus Alfon / D1gits

Nordland Teater

May 19, 2020, 9:08:32 AM5/19/20
to QLab
I have just recieved my first flic, but i cant get it to work with Qlab... I have entered the same that you have in your picture, but Qlab cant find the button.. What do i do wrong?

Erik Rosales

May 21, 2020, 12:29:25 PM5/21/20
to QLab
Hey there Nordland Teater.

I think the problem might be that you need to name the cue list you want to trigg to something. In my case I have named my main cue list to GoMain. And therefore I have specified the osc string to point to the GoMain list:

/cue/GoMain/start

But you can name the list to whatever you want 👍🏼
Tell me if that solves your problem. All the best. Erik

micpool

May 21, 2020, 7:22:58 PM5/21/20
to QLab
On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 5:29:25 PM UTC+1, Erik Rosales wrote:

I think the problem might be that you need to name the cue list you want to trigg to something. In my case I have named my main cue list to GoMain. And therefore I have specified the osc string to point to the GoMain list:

/cue/GoMain/start

But you can name the list to whatever you want

Just to avoid any potential confusion.:

the OSC message

/cue/GoMain/start

will trigger a cue list NUMBERED GoMain

It won't trigger a cue list NAMED GoMain.

In this screenshot, the 2nd cue list from the top is the one that will respond.

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 00.15.14.png

Best

Mic

Erik Rosales

May 22, 2020, 3:23:36 AM5/22/20
to QLab
Thanks for clearing that out Micpool 👍🏼

Johan

May 23, 2020, 2:58:45 PM5/23/20
to QLab

Tackar för detta Erik.

Jag tar mig friheten och för det vidare till Pygméteatern i din hemstad, som jag vet använder flic också.

Thanks!

Erik Rosales

May 23, 2020, 5:23:11 PM5/23/20
to QLab
Grymt Johan! Kul att höra att det kommer fler till användning 🔥

Allt gott!

Patrick Spadrille

Feb 17, 2021, 4:30:48 PM2/17/21
to QLab
I'm sorry to ask a question not related to Qlab but since you appears to Flic's OSC capabilities very well, i have something to ask. I would like to use Flic to  power up on a digital mixer (Behringer X32) and then move some faders up or down. Flic is compatible with Homekit, so i can use Homekit to turn the digital mixer on with a smart plug. And since Flic can send OSC messages, it can send as OSC message to the digital mixer to move the faders. But, i have 2 questions :
       - Can the flic button be at the same time trigger a device via Homekit AND send an OSC message?
       - Is it possible to have a delay before sending the OSC message? Because the digital mixer need some time to boot (a few seconds) before being able to receive any OSC message. What i need is that pushing the button first trigger the associated smart plug in Homekit and then, a few seconds later, send an OSC message to the X32. Does it seem possible?

m...@stevensokulski.com

Feb 17, 2021, 9:16:50 PM2/17/21
to QLab
Hiya,

The Flic does support chaining actions, so you can set the "single click" action to activate a HomeKit scene and then send an OSC commands to the mixer.

However, I don't think you can establish a delay between the two. In my experience, the X32 takes a couple seconds from when you "flip the switch" (or turn on the outlet in your case) before it will respond to input.

Also of note: To make the button HomeKit compatible you'll need the hub.

Patrick Spadrille

Feb 18, 2021, 12:21:06 AM2/18/21
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your answer. I still have 2 questions. Can I also use a fixed iPhone as a hub to connect to HomeKit? Can I add a bunch of “fake actions” to simulate the delay I need between the smart plug and the OSC command?

Steven Sokulski

Feb 18, 2021, 10:22:54 AM2/18/21
to 'Rich Walsh' via QLab
Can I also use a fixed iPhone as a hub to connect to HomeKit?
Sadly, I don’t think so. I do a fair bit of tinkering with HomeKit devices, Homebridge translation, etc. and iOS apps aren’t able to emulate HomeKit devices at this time without the help of a separate device.

They potentially could’ve made the buttons themselves pair to Apple TVs or HomePods, but that’s not something the end user could do.

Can I add a bunch of “fake actions” to simulate the delay I need between the smart plug and the OSC command?
I don’t know enough about this to answer that, sorry.

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp

Patrick Spadrille

Feb 18, 2021, 10:40:05 AM2/18/21
to QLab
I will have to experiment when i receive my first Flic buttons.
Since you know very well Homekit, do you know any way to make Qlab control Homekit? I'm exeprimenting with the OSC plugin for Homebridge but so far, without any luck. Have you try such a solution or another?

Steven Sokulski

Feb 18, 2021, 6:47:02 PM2/18/21
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I’m sorry to say I haven’t had occasion to use OSC around the house. You might try opening an issue on the GitHub repo for the plugin.

I use a particular plugin for my garage door opener and that developer has been amazingly receptive with support and feedback. Maybe you’ll have similar luck.

Svante Axbacke

Mar 3, 2021, 7:22:58 AM3/3/21
to QLab
Would it be possible to use the Flic Hub to send messages over the network? I'm thinking about if I want to send message where there is quite a distance between the button and the Qlab computer, it could be nice to have a little hub close to the button instead of a full computer.

/Svante

Erik Rosales

Mar 3, 2021, 7:54:08 AM3/3/21
to QLab

Hi there Svante! Please pass this information to the Flic crew... I have presented this idea to the crew. But I guess they work on things that will benefit the largest amount of people... With that said. I more people articulate this need maybe they will make it happen : )

/Erik

Magnus Aaen

Jan 12, 2024, 2:37:06 PMJan 12
to QLab
Hi all.
Magnus from Nationaltheatret Norway here.

I have now used several flic buttons paired to the flicHUB to send osc messages to QLab, so the actors can trigger their own sound-cues.
Never failed after a little programming help from our good saint over at the flic HQ.

They wrote a script to put into the flicHUB, and I have modified it to my needs. Mainly telling the hub to send an osc message to QLab whenever it is pushed.

The hub is connected to the network and is placed approx. 20 meters away from the buttons I use. Even with a full hous of 700+ people, no trubble with connection.

In my most recent show (premiere next week), I use three buttons.
One placed on an old phone, for the actor to push when answering the phone, so the ringing stops. (All handled by QLab.
The second one is placed on a "mechanincal" bird, with a wireless reciever and a small speaker inside, so that when the actor pushes the button, the bird sings (and fades over to the main speaker system).
The third one is used by a actor who "spits" cherry stones into a bowl, and he pushes the button when the "stone" hits the bowl.

/Magnus

sir...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2024, 9:30:30 AMJan 13
to QLab

Cool setup, Magnus! I'm happy it works so well for you!

I got an interview with the Flic crew about the way I use their button. You can read about it here:

Now I'm looking forward to seeing how to use their new Flic Twist. Right now, it's not good for my needs, but I have their attention. So, things might change with new features that work within a theater/show setup :)

/Erik

Thomas Dam Jensen

Jan 13, 2024, 10:31:06 AMJan 13
to QLab
The Flic buttons appear very smart, and I can envision numerous beneficial applications for theater use. However, if anyone is in need of a wireless controller for QLab with range up to 1000m (line of sight), you might want to check out the SchwiftyBox WRC. This is admittedly a direct promotion, as I manufacture them myself. They function as wireless MIDI controllers and are specifically designed for use with QLab. The handheld remote, though a bit larger than a Flic button, has 8 buttons, and can also function as a foot-controller.

Thomas.