SDI Outputs

Alexander (Mailing List) Taylor

Sep 9, 2022, 10:14:40 AM9/9/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I’m working on specifying some new machines to handle lower thirds and other info run from QLab into an ATEM switcher. I’m wondering what the state of various Blackmagic UltraStudio devices are with QLab. My searches through the archives only showed answers from 4+ years ago. My questions:

Do any current MBD SDI output devices
- Support multiple outputs from QLab per device?
- Support Key/Fill from QLab?

I know some devices have SDI A/B, which I believe is for larger resolutions/higher frame rates using two cables. Some others have dual, quad, or 8 outputs. How can each of these be used in QLab? Likewise I would love to have key/fill support automatically rather than playing with masks and a combination of ATEM media and QLab output. I know this wasn’t possible years ago, has that changed?

Thanks,
Alexander
The Right-To-Know Law provides that most e-mail communications to or from School District employees regarding the business of the School District are government records available to the public upon request. Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.

Seablade -

Sep 9, 2022, 8:13:07 PM9/9/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Haven't tested Key/Fill but definitely have done multiple outputs off a Decklink 8K and would think most any Decklink device would support that.  Ultrastudio devices though I think most of them are single output or at most Key/Fill so can't help much there, sorry.

Any reason you are going Ultrastudio instead of a Decklink out of curiosity (I am guessing it may be price, just curious if there is a different reason)?

      Thomas Vecchione

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp

Alexander (Mailing List) Taylor

Sep 12, 2022, 7:23:21 AM9/12/22
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking an all-in-one device would be a simpler concept than PCI cards in a Sonnet enclosure.  I’m happy to do it either way though, price is a factor.

Thanks,
Alexander

On Sep 9, 2022, at 8:12 PM, Seablade - <seab...@gmail.com> wrote:

Caution - This email is from outside ORCSD. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

ewa...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2022, 9:45:19 AM9/16/22
to QLab
Hi
I use UltraStudio with Qlab for Key/Fill to a mixer, works super.
You start the LiveKey app then the UltraStudio does it's magic in the background so all alpha is keyed.
Good to know is that the UltraStudio output can't use the power from the graphics card on your machine, only CPU power.

/Emanuel

Matt Parker

Feb 2, 2023, 2:39:32 PM2/2/23
to 'Rich Walsh' via QLab
I don’t know if this is intended behavior or a bug, as I can see the case made for intended behavior.

If a fade is run with "Stop target when done" flag set and a 2nd fade that affects the same faders, is triggered before the 1st fade finishes the 1st fade is preempted and doesn’t stop the audio cue.

Example 1
1 audio cue
2 10sec fade  of cue 1, Stop target when done, fading Master
3 10sec fade of cue 1, fading master

Here if cue 3 is triggered while cue 2 is running, cue 2 will be preempted and stopped, and won’t stop cue 1, it will continue to run

Example 2 (work around, in the fade stop cue, target a channel to fade that other fade cues aren’t targeting )
1 audio cue
2 10sec fade  of cue 1, Stop target when done, fading Master & channel 1
3 10sec fade of cue 1, fading master only

Here if cue 3 is triggered while cue 2 is running, Cue 2 will continue to fade channel 1 and will stop Cue 1 when [cue 2] the fade completes.

Autofollowing a Stop to the end of the fade out will also work as expected, stopping cue 1.

Tested in Qlab Version 4.7

--
Matthew Parker
he | him

Sam Kusnetz

Feb 2, 2023, 5:04:05 PM2/2/23
to ql...@googlegroups.com
This is the expected behavior, although I certainly understand why it might seem unexpected.

The ability of a second Fade cue to “take over” from the first Fade cue that is in progress sort of necessarily means that the second cue’s “stop target when done” checkbox becomes the one that QLab cares about.

If you ran a third Fade cue with the box checked, then that one would become the one QLab cares about and therefore the target cue would stop.

Best
Sam

Sam Kusnetz (he/him) | Figure 53