[QLab] more "Lag after "go" stuff

Michael Keniger

May 17, 2010, 4:16:00 AM5/17/10
to QLab users.
Hi,

We have just opened a show on a v2.3/Leopard/mac mini/RMEfireface system.

There are around 30 audio cues (the most complex of which probably has 4 wavs playing at the same time), two video cues (static jpg slides) and around 35 midi cues.

Tech period was fine, first few previews were fine.  On Saturdays matinee sound check was fine but while running the show we experienced a lag of around 0.5 seconds on every audio cue after hitting the go button.  In a quite moment in the show we Stopped and Reset All on the cue list but the lag was still present.  Restarting the computer after the show cured the problem and I don't expect to see it again but wonder what caused it?

Experimentation with firing un-loaded cues caused the same embarrasing lag before audio was heard, but the show is run in sequence and there are no fast follow-ons, so next cues are always loaded.  Our matinee show behaved as if the loaded cues were not actually loaded (despite the fact that they were).

I have had a quick search on the tracker/group archive and found a couple of mentions of similar problems but no resolution.

We are not using Guaranteed Sync.  All toolboxes (inspector etc) were closed.  All power settings set to 'never'.

Thoughts appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mike

Luka Mustafa

May 17, 2010, 4:31:44 AM5/17/10
to Discussion and support for QLab users.
Hi,

it seems to me like a full memory problem, although I am not sure what does QLab in such a case. You could install iStats and monitor your memory(RAM) usage and CPU.

Best regards,
Luka

Get a free e-mail account with Hotmail. Sign-up now. ________________________________________________________
WHEN REPLYING, PLEASE QUOTE ONLY WHAT YOU NEED. Thanks!
Change your preferences or unsubscribe here:

Michael Keniger

May 17, 2010, 4:33:30 AM5/17/10
to QLab users.
Hi,

Checked this - ram/cpu does not appear to be an issue.

thanks,
Mike

John Leonard

May 17, 2010, 4:51:39 AM5/17/10
to Discussion and support for QLab users.
Mike,

I take it this is YPM?

Anything else running on the system?

John

On 17 May 2010, at 09:16, Michael Keniger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have just opened a show on a v2.3/Leopard/mac mini/RMEfireface system.

Michael Keniger

May 17, 2010, 5:05:06 AM5/17/10
to QLab users.
Hi John,

Yes it is indeed YPM.

Nothing else running and the machine has only ever been used for QLab v1 (same one you used for Cyrano - a slightly busier show... :-) and now QLab v2.

Heading in to work in about an hour to have another look at the system, perhaps dig in to the console log if I can find it (not had to do this before).

Mike

> From: jo...@johnleonard.co.uk
> Subject: Re: [QLab] more "Lag after "go" stuff
>
> Mike,
>
> I take it this is YPM?
>
> Anything else running on the system?
>
> John
>
> On 17 May 2010, at 09:16, Michael Keniger wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have just opened a show on a v2.3/Leopard/mac mini/RMEfireface system.

Christopher Ashworth

May 17, 2010, 6:32:50 AM5/17/10

On May 17, 2010, at 5:05 AM, Michael Keniger wrote:

> Heading in to work in about an hour to have another look at the system, perhaps dig in to the console log if I can find it (not had to do this before).

/Applications/Utilities/Console.app

I'm curious if you see any messages at all from CoreAudio or the device driver (in addition to any messages from QLab).

-C

Hamish & Claire Oliver

May 17, 2010, 7:29:53 AM5/17/10
to Discussion and support for QLab users.
Hi - this is likely to be a long shot, but you haven't replaced the Mac Mini internal drive (if this is what you're using) with a Western Digital drive, have you? Or another drive that might be affected by the below situation. It's probably a red herring, as you said that restarting cured the problem, but worth mentioning.

I've just had an interesting experience with this (symptoms were audio dropouts, sluggish Logic performance, frequent brief general unresponsiveness - all fixed now). It's referred to here:

and here:

--
Hamish Oliver
Christchurch

Michael Keniger

May 17, 2010, 8:02:51 AM5/17/10
to QLab users.
Hi,

Ok an update now that I am back with the machine.

Importantly I made an error before - Guaranteed Sync is actually ON for all cues (except the last cue in the show which was the one I had in mind when typing my email this morning).

Hamish - no the mac is using the original drive, but an interesting link!

Chris - I have attached a log file of events from Saturday (and cue list file).  There is preshow audio running from about 13:30 (ie this is about the time we open the house and enter 'show mode' - everything before would be during sound check time etc), the show started at 14:00 and ended around 16:30.  17:09 was our reboot that solved things!

bit more info:

1.83 core2duo
2gb ram
MacOSX version 10.5.8
Quicktime version 7.6.6

I will consider turning off G-Sync to be the first thing to try but first need to consider if it will have any impact on the playback of the show (timing-wise etc)

Thanks,
Mike

Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 23:29:53 +1200

Subject: Re: [QLab] more "Lag after "go" stuff

Hi - this is likely to be a long shot, but you haven't replaced the Mac Mini internal drive .... ?

--
Hamish Oliver
Christchurch
NEW ZEALAND

Mikes Go LAG Show Console Log.rtf
YPM Show CFT Sat.cues

Smith, Andy

May 17, 2010, 8:29:33 AM5/17/10
to ql...@lists.figure53.com

We had an issue with this on a mac mini and V2.3 last weekend, but we
put it down to our screen sharing set-up, although it had worked
faultlessly on previous versions. System was 'sluggish', although no
crashes and no obvious system overloads etc.

Is it just a Mini issue?? - mind, also had problems getting machine to
update OSX yesterday.

Andy C. Smith
Technical Manager
South Holland Centre
Market Place
Spalding
Lincolnshire
PE11 1SS

01775 764872

Andy...@sholland.gov.uk

SAVE PAPER, SAVE TREES - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

"This Email, and any attachments, may contain Protected or Restricted information and is intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly. If this Email has been misdirected, please notify the author immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or relay on any of the information contained in it or attached, and all copies must be deleted immediately. Whilst we take reasonable steps to try to identify any software viruses, any attachments to this Email may nevertheless contain viruses which our anti-virus software has failed to identify. You should therefore carry out your own anti-virus checks before opening any documents. South Holland District Council will not accept any liability for damage caused by computer viruses emanating from any attachment or other document supplied with this e-mail. All GCSx traffic may be su
bject to recording and / or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation."

Michael Keniger

May 21, 2010, 6:02:36 AM5/21/10
to QLab users.
Hi,

Just an update to say that having disabled guaranteed sync on all cues the show has now run without issue for five performances without problems (touch wood!).  I suppose we still don't know if it was the cause of the problem in the first place but it certainly hasn't had any negative impact.

Just as a general note - QLab is a great programming and design tool but possibly not the operators best friend.  The are occasions when sluggish screen updates make it feel as if nothing has happened and you go through a brief "do I hit go again or wait" moment.  I realise QLab giving priority to playback.

Thanks,
Mike