Best Video Format for QLab?

Jonty Binet

Oct 31, 2017, 8:43:20 AM10/31/17
to QLab
Hi all,

I work in a school so I am often given videos to present that students have made in iMovie. In the past I have used Handbrake to convert these videos into H264. Reading this group many people have said that ProRes is better for QLab. Should I start converting all videos to ProRes? If so, whats the best way to do this? I hear Compressor is the best software for this, can you use that without Final Cut Pro?

Thanks!

Chris Ashworth

Oct 31, 2017, 9:30:11 AM10/31/17
to Jonty Binet, ql...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonty!

You can find our recommended codecs at the top of this page:

And the topic comes on the discussion list a fair amount, so you may find it helpful to take a stroll through the list archives.

We definitely recommend adding Compressor to your toolbox; you can purchase it on the Mac App Store for $50:

micpool

Oct 31, 2017, 9:51:34 AM10/31/17
to QLab
I think that if you are just showing a single video at a time, full screen, with no geometry or fx then h264 will not be a problem. Have you experienced any?

Having said that I dont understand why you would use handbrake. iMovie will export to or ProRes directly,, if your software is up to date.

Handbrake probably gives you options that will produce poorly performing h264. If you need to convert, exporting from QuickTime Player to the 1080p or 720p options will produce a reasonably well behaved h264 file.

If you are doing anything more complicated, , or teaching projection design for theatre performance, then ProRes LT or proxy is the way to go. Compressor is a bargain tool and will work fine independently of Final Cut

Mic

Tonya Rabish

Jan 23, 2019, 11:00:41 PM1/23/19
to QLab

Avdshare Video Converter is just the right converter which can convert between ProRes and H.264 MP4 .https://www.avdshare.com/prores-to-h-264-mp4-converter

Tonya Rabish

Jun 13, 2020, 3:41:51 AM6/13/20
to QLab
iDealshare VideoGo is just the right MKV Compressor tool which helps to compress MKV file size with almost no loss of video and audio quality.

Andy Kanturek

Jun 14, 2020, 11:29:49 AM6/14/20
to ql...@googlegroups.com
If you plan to apply effects or layer video files in QLab, yes convert to ProRes, otherwise MP4 plays well.

On Jun 13, 2020, at 2:41 AM, Tonya Rabish <tonya...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLabApp

Dominic Hargreaves

Jun 14, 2020, 11:40:18 AM6/14/20
to ql...@googlegroups.com
For all the tool recommendations on the list, it's worth
mentioning that to convert to prores you don't need anything
more than OSX which has built-in support: in Finder, right click
on any video file that Quicktime supports and choose
'encode selected video files'.

Cheers
Dominic
> --
> Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
> Follow Figure 53 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Figure53
> User Group Code of Conduct: https://figure53.com/help/code-of-conduct/
> ---

micpool

Jun 14, 2020, 12:05:04 PM6/14/20
to QLab
The built in tool will only encode to ProRes 422, which is fine for a lot of users. If you are using large resolutions or lots of surfaces, you will need something like Compressor to access Pro Res LT and Proxy codecs.

If you look at the dates of posts in this thread you will see that some posts after the original discussion in 2015 are not QLab user recommendations, but marketing messages that crop up from the same account in nearly every forum whenever Codecs are discussed.

Mic