Maskerator

Richard Williamson

May 28, 2024, 1:00:21 PMMay 28
to 'Rich Walsh' via QLab
Hi All

I have made a new app which some of you might find useful - Maskerator, which runs on macOS 14.0+ only - lets you draw masks in a drag and drop environment, with the ability to make complex shapes and add blends where required

There is live output via NDI and Syphon, single button with transparency, and export to PNG to import into QLab with a single button

It’s very much a work in progress so any thoughts appreciated. Free to download from www.theatre.support/maskerator

Let me know if this is useful!

Richard

micpool

May 28, 2024, 1:17:28 PMMay 28
to QLab

Hi Richard

I can't open it on my OS 14.5 mac

Best

Mic

Richard Williamson

May 28, 2024, 1:48:10 PMMay 28
to QLab
Doh - sorry, realised I didn’t zip the file. Try again now

Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Threads: https://threads.net/@QLabApp
User Group Code of Conduct: https://qlab.app/code-of-conduct/
---

micpool

May 28, 2024, 5:56:33 PMMay 28
to QLab
All working now thanks

Mic

Andy Dolph

May 29, 2024, 1:48:45 PMMay 29
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Wow that's cool - it would have saved me a ton of time and headache on a show I did this spring.

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow QLab on Threads: https://threads.net/@QLabApp
User Group Code of Conduct: https://qlab.app/code-of-conduct/
---

jeremie.g...@free.fr

May 31, 2024, 4:12:18 AMMay 31
to QLab
Hi Richard !

Thanks a lot for this long awaited piece of software !
I've just tried it on my machine and it seems to work nicely.

Here are some remarks/feature requests after less than 1 hour of use :
- I don't find blends are very easy to use... (but I have no precise propositions to improve the behavior).
- I miss some "blur" feature on shapes borders (I think it can be done with blends, but the system with the points isn't very handful and if I add 4 blends to a square, I have a white line at the bisect of each angle...) ;
- being able to draw a shape by clicking directly in the background to create a path of points would be very nice too ;
- Is there a way to add some Bézier curves for non-linear shapes ? (for example, right-click on a line or point, and change it to Bézier).
- maybe add round shapes ?

I hope this feedback will help improve the tool !

Regards,

Jérémie

Ethan Eldred

Jun 3, 2024, 10:05:07 AMJun 3
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Super cool, trying it out now. The big thing I'm noticing right now is that undo/redo is not working on my Mac Studio. Agreed with Jérémie that curves and feathered edge control per line would be a very nice feature. All in all a big addition to the tool box as is though! Well done.

Ethan Eldred

Jun 3, 2024, 10:11:59 AMJun 3
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Oh! I did find the blend tool after my first comment. I'll keep working with that to see if I have more useful info about what would make that tool better for me. Thanks!

Richard Williamson

Jun 3, 2024, 10:54:20 AMJun 3
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Thanks - currently working on an update for at least some of this. Undo/redo is some pain I need to investigate at some point but might make my brain explode..

Sent from my iPhone

rosario calvagna

Jun 3, 2024, 11:20:56 AMJun 3
to ql...@googlegroups.com

I do the same thing with after effect

m...@stevensokulski.com

Jun 4, 2024, 12:44:12 AMJun 4
to QLab
This looks great Richard. Would've saved me tons of time on a mask for a set piece a couple months ago.
I'll be filing this away for the next one!