Shen in Racket

Joel McCracken

Nov 22, 2022, 3:19:37 PM11/22/22
to qil...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone aware of a #lang shen port in Racket?

Joel McCracken

Nov 23, 2022, 4:36:34 AM11/23/22
to qil...@googlegroups.com
Also, is there a pdf version of the Shen book anywhere? I’d love to be able to read it on my eink tablet, have been finding it much more natural to read on (the paper book is fine, just a bit cumbersome and using a light to read bothers my wife)

Sent from my iPhone

Joel McCracken

Nov 23, 2022, 4:36:38 AM11/23/22
to Shen
I found this by searching the newsgroup: https://github.com/bitmappergit/shen-scheme

looks like a good start, not sure if anyone has done more. I'd really like to be able to use it as a #lang someday, I think it would make it a lot easier for people to experiment with Shen.
Message has been deleted

Mark Tarver

Nov 27, 2022, 4:34:46 PM11/27/22
to Shen
Circulating pdf of a published book w.o. author's consent is a crime.

M.

emum

Nov 27, 2022, 4:50:44 PM11/27/22
to Shen
? Oh ok sorry. You have it free on your site so I didn't think it would be a problem. I'll delete the link.

Mark Tarver

Nov 27, 2022, 4:52:17 PM11/27/22
to Shen
It's actually free as readable graphic files on the site as a courtesy - an act of supererogation really from me - and for the convenience of
people who want a fast reference - by logging into the site.  This helps keep the work and the site alive.

Thanks for taking that down.

Mark

Joel McCracken

Nov 27, 2022, 5:59:05 PM11/27/22
to qil...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for stirring up trouble. I do already own the book, so I thought you wouldn't mind. I actually have been reading the physical copy a lot since I sent that previous email (and just reading it on the website on my boox lumi when using that instead).

Book is really impressive, it covers so much, I initially didn't realize it roughly teaches how Shen is implemented throughout its pages.

Having the book online really helps people discover it, learn what makes it unique. Out of all of my friends etc who i've talked to about Shen, most of them that have heard of it still remember it being closed source. Few know that much about it, having more information available to people will really help with that.

Bram Wyllie

Nov 27, 2022, 6:56:49 PM11/27/22
to qil...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I see you found my hack to get shen-scheme working on racket :). I think it would be a lot of work to make it work as a #lang just due to how racket langs work, I remember looking into it but not being particularly interested enough to get it working.

Joel McCracken

Nov 27, 2022, 7:37:08 PM11/27/22
to qil...@googlegroups.com
I did find it! I tried to run it without much success. I'd like to poke at it again though, but it was clear that it wasn't trivial to get it to work. Mind if I poke your brain about questions as I dig into it?

I wonder also if I could somehow merge w/ Bruno's work. But my guess is a performant implementation of Shen in Racket will be somewhat different than the one for Chez.

nha...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2022, 5:03:38 AM11/28/22
to Shen
Racket runs on Chez now anyway, so it probably isn't too hard to interact with it.

Last time I tried calling the Chez backend's load procedure from within racket it crashed though. I never bothered to investigate why.

The Racket fork of Chez works fine with shen-scheme btw.

Joel McCracken

Nov 29, 2022, 11:36:00 AM11/29/22
to qil...@googlegroups.com
I spent some time the other day trying again to get shen-scheme to run in racket using your work Bram; I started off by rebasing atop the main shen-scheme branch, which seemed to smooth things out. If I get something that works, I'll share it with the room.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Shen" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qilang/0607378f-e39f-42fb-b201-fadb093cfe83n%40googlegroups.com.