Shen gone to Mountain View

Mark Tarver

Jul 31, 2010, 2:23:00 PM7/31/10
to Qilang
At 7.20 GMT, 31st July, the beta Shen version was transferred to Carl
Shapiro at Google, Mountain View. Over the next period Carl will be
going over the instruction set wrt its suitability for the JVM/CLR/DVM
and the Android system and will be leading a lot of the development of
Shen.

Carl has had a long track history of working with Lisp, having worked
variously for Gensym, SRI and Franz before moving to Google. He owns
his own Lisp machine and has been sometime vice-president of the
Association of Lisp Users. He brings a deep knowledge of programming
language design and implementation to the project. I hope you will
all give him a warm welcome.

As for myself, I am taking a break and during this time, Carl will be
acting as moderator on this news group.

Mark
Message has been deleted

Emeka

Jul 31, 2010, 3:37:24 PM7/31/10
to qil...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mark,

Are you going back to India? Or somewhere else?

Janus

bruno frandemiche

Jul 31, 2010, 4:00:57 PM7/31/10
to qil...@googlegroups.com
good news,mark
good hollidays
bruno

Raoul Duke

Jul 31, 2010, 6:47:40 PM7/31/10
to qil...@googlegroups.com
exciting, and congratulations on the milestone & accomplishment.
looking forward to eventually being able to build and run some Shen
programs locally :-)

Kian

Jul 31, 2010, 4:07:43 PM7/31/10
to Qilang
Congratulations! Will this beta instruction set be released before jvm
compatibility is determined, for those of us interested in porting to
other platforms?

Kian Wilcox

Mark Tarver

Aug 3, 2010, 6:03:05 AM8/3/10
to Qilang
Much of this is now in Carl's hands, but in phone conversation we
agreed that our prototype should be tested by porting to another FPL
platform. This will tell us how appropriate the K Lambda instruction
set is and what may need changing. At the moment Shen runs under
CLisp. Carl looks to favour Clojure as the test port, as do I. When
we are fully happy, it will be released.

Mark
> > Mark- Hide quoted text -

Emeka

Aug 3, 2010, 10:54:28 AM8/3/10
to qil...@googlegroups.com
+1 Clojure

bruno frandemiche

Aug 3, 2010, 3:05:00 PM8/3/10
to qil...@googlegroups.com
very good choice
bruno

Mark Tarver

Aug 4, 2010, 4:43:29 PM8/4/10
to Qilang
I don't think so. Not yet.

My journey in India ended short of its objective. I travelled 1,200
miles
by train from the holy city of Nasik to the city of the dead,
Varanasi. My intent was to continue to the yogic school at Bihar and
thence to the Himalayas. But I was compelled to return in order to
restore the legacy I left behind. I was sent the strong message that
it was needed to be done; hence I returned.

There are other things to be done, not all in computing. My finances
need attention and my health needs to be restored from past samskara.
The latter is more important.

I am drawn to Constantinople (or Istanbul as it is now known); for
Westerners once the greatest centre of learning in Europe and the gate
between East and West. But time will tell.

Mark

On 31 July, 20:37, Emeka <emekami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> Are you going back to India? Or somewhere else?
>
> Janus
>
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Mark Tarver <dr.mtar...@ukonline.co.uk>wrote:
>

> > At 7.20 GMT, 31st July, the beta Shen version was transferred to Carl
> > Shapiro at Google, Mountain View.  Over the next period Carl will be
> > going over the instruction set wrt its suitability for the JVM/CLR/DVM
> > and the Android system and will be leading a lot of the development of
> > Shen.
>
> > Carl has had a long track history of working with Lisp, having worked
> > variously for Gensym, SRI and Franz before moving to Google.   He owns
> > his own Lisp machine and has been sometime vice-president of the
> > Association of Lisp Users. He brings a deep knowledge of programming
> > language design and implementation to the project.  I hope you will
> > all give him a warm welcome.
>
> > As for myself, I am taking a break and during this time, Carl will be
> > acting as moderator on this news group.
>
> > Mark

Emeka

Aug 16, 2010, 3:14:20 AM8/16/10
to qil...@googlegroups.com
Where do we stand now? Oracle vs Google. The end of free Java.

Emeka

Nik

Aug 16, 2010, 7:43:41 AM8/16/10
to Qilang
That's a very interesting point! As the Oracle's only metric is
money
(cf . Gosling's recent blog "http://nighthacks.com/roller/jag/entry/
the_shit_finally_hits_the")
the future of Java looks very dark!

On 16 Aug., 09:14, Emeka <emekami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where do we stand now? Oracle vs Google. The end of free Java.
>
> Emeka
>
> > <qilang%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<qilang%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

n2kra

Aug 21, 2010, 2:36:48 PM8/21/10
to Qilang

On Aug 16, 3:14 am, Emeka <emekami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where do we stand now? Oracle vs Google. The end of free Java.

Will that affect the timetable of Java 7 invokedynamic ? I had hear of
some doing a free build of 6, with the invokedynamic bytecode added ?

If it is still going forward, it would be interesting to see jvm7 /
DLR's impact.