Shen site to go completely open source in July

dr.mt...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2024, 12:21:17 PMJun 27
to Shen
The Shen site will go completely open source with
the publication of Shen/tk 39/2 which will include
the IDE and the concurrency package.   This will
complete the transfer of the last of the technology
developed under Shen Professional (SP).

SP was born in September 2015 as an incubator for Shen
technology and it proved very successful in this regard.
Whereas the kernel went open source in February 2015,
SP was forked off as closed source commercial product.
As such the revenue stream for SP provided an incubator
for some important work; the new S kernel, an IDE, concurrency
and graphics for Shen all came from SP.

The transfer of this technology began in 2021 and I indicated
that eventually all the technology under SP would transfer to
OS and that time has now arrived.   SP will not be further developed
but will continue to run.   Many thanks to those who supported
SP because you saved the Shen project.

Shen/tk 39/2 will more than replace SP because it essentially
levers SP technology and, unlike SP,  the IDE is type secure and
is platform independent.  This means that Shen/tk 39/2 will run
under SBCL and Chez Scheme.  The latter, as you know is superlatively
fast , about 4X faster than SBCL.  We also hope to have downloadables
for Linux and Mac/OS.

Mark

dr.mt...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2024, 7:42:03 AMJul 5
to Shen
I've just made the final adjustments to the IDE which seems to work fine.
Expect everything to be up in a few days.

Mark

Joel McCracken

Jul 16, 2024, 6:36:02 PM (6 days ago) Jul 16
to qil...@googlegroups.com
So what exactly does it mean that the site is going open source? Is it possible to contribute to the content on shenlanguage.org? Will it be possible to convert the book that is on the site to a more traditional web format? What license are these all being released under?

There are lots of little things I would suggest doing to improve things, if that is welcome. For example, the other day I tried watching https://shenlanguage.org/shen.mp4 on my iphone and it didn't work. I suspect this is because of some encoding thing. I bet that if it were uploaded to the shen education youtube channel, that would probably resolve that issue (and make it more discoverable).

it would also be great to unify some of the various disparate sources of information:
- the wiki
- the open source manual

I really like Shen and have been trying to figure out what I want to do with it from here: collaborating with a fork for exploration vs a clean room adoption/adaptation/implementation of ideas in an entirely different codebase, etc, and how that all would work with licenses -- if shen is moving to an entirely open source model, that would be fantastic! I'd much rather put my efforts into helping there.

But right now i've been working on/exploring how to use the emacs lisp port for practical purposes.

Thanks!

dr.mt...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2024, 2:24:22 AM (6 days ago) Jul 17
to Shen
It means that all the code is open source and what was previously in SP
is now readable and under BSD.   Generally all web sites are by default
under copyright and that includes the OS Wiki and all the interest sites
and Youtube talks that comment on Shen.  I find that no problem; I just
link to them.  I couldn't copy any of them unless I had permission from
the authors.

Back in the day I remember Bruno had the OS wiki set up so anybody
could contribute.  The amount of spam posted was insane (though there
was a really nice fish dish in there).  So he switched to a modded version
which AFAIK is still in force.  Likewise for a time we had an unmodded
news group and again the spam forced me to go back to modding.

The OS Wiki is set up for collaborative work.  The Shen site is not and
this reflects in part the technology behind the site which like 99% of
websites is password and superuser based.    I just do not have the
technology of the OS Wiki or Wikipedia built into the site (nor the time
to be a Wikipedia-style editor).  I'll take any good remarks on improvement
on board eg. shen.mp4.   Likewise anybody, including yourself, who puts
any material up, I'm happy to link to it.

Integrating the OS Wiki with the main site sounds a nice idea and I'm
happy to highlight the site from the Shen main page.  I have no control
over the OS Wiki nor the GitHub repo site.

Mark

Joel McCracken

Jul 17, 2024, 12:25:18 PM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to qil...@googlegroups.com
Gotcha, thank you very much!