packaging Shen/tk and some conventions

dr.mt...@gmail.com

May 18, 2024, 10:04:55 AMMay 18
to Shen
I'm now in the stage of checking packaging for Shen/tk.

I've decided to follow the convention of not taking the public namespace
for packages outside stlib.  A standard library should have as a requirement,
the convention that everything within it should require no more resources
than those found within the host language.  Shen/tk is not really within that
convention since although it uses no instructions outside Shen, it relies on
TCL/tk to do it's job.    Shen/tk does require the standard library however.

As regards the standard library itself, obviously those functions are in the
public namespace and in this case the external functions will be systemf-ed.
But in other work outside stlib, I'll follow the course of not using public
namespace.    This might mean a few name changes in stuff I've uploaded.

Another convention I'm following is not to clutter the type theory by a
lot of code that may degrade type checking other applications.  So Shen/tk
has a rather large type theory with dependent types but is by default precluded.
Instructions are given on how to activate.

There is one more package needed after this which is the package for
concurrent programming.  This will appear in late summer.   This will form
the basis for a Shen with 'batteries included' which will be essentially SP.
SP will have then served its purpose.

It is likely that there will be a single publication on Shen with' batteries included
bringing all this material together.

Mark