Map File problem

Deb Colman

Nov 7, 2016, 1:44:51 PM11/7/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi, I'm a new QIIME user. I have one 454 metadate file (16S rRNA). It has 7 barcodes, because I have 7 different samples. I've splitted the seqs in 7 fasta files (by Bioedit program). Now, I want to create and validate the map file in QIIME.
I have doubts about how I must create the map file. I've done a map file with sequences related to one barcode and I tried to execute but I couldn't. I send you a screenshot of the error message. I don't know if the message is for the script or about the map file.
When I have different barcodes, I have to create one map file each one? And each map file must have all sequences assigned to that barcode?
For more information, I've installed QIIME Virtual Box.

I hope that someone understand me.

Thanks!!
mapping_Adriana.txt
Screenshot from 2016-11-07 15:24:21.png

Daniel McDonald

Nov 7, 2016, 11:56:20 PM11/7/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Deb,

The error in your traceback is from attempting to create a directory in the shared folder on your VirtualBox in a directory where you do not have permission to do so. If you specify "-o $HOME/mapping_output" it should proceed further.

Your mapping file is your study. It is what relates your samples to covariates. You should have a single file which associates each sample to all the information you have about the physical specimen. For example, please see an example mapping file here:

Best,
Daniel

Deb Colman

Nov 9, 2016, 8:58:08 AM11/9/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Daniel! Thanks for your soon answer. It was very useful! I'm running the script as you told me.
I guess this is taking time because of the large number of sequences to be analyzed (+ 200,000).

If there is any problem, I do not hesitate to write to the forum!!

Thank you for all!

Daniel McDonald

Nov 11, 2016, 7:15:21 PM11/11/16
to Qiime 1 Forum