18S workflow with Illumina sequences

Laura

May 5, 2016, 5:18:28 AM5/5/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi everyone!

This is my first message to this helpful forum. I think it’s wonderful that we can share our knowledge about QIIME :).  I hope my question is not repeated, although I haven’t found it.

I have sequences from the Illumina MiSeq system. These are 18S sequences. What I have done so far is:

1. Create and validate the mapping file (No errors or warnings found)
2. Generate a single archive containing all sequences (add_qiime_labels.py)

In this step, what I want to do is to generate the OTU  table and assign taxonomy. (What I do with 16S bacterial data is using the script pick_open_reference_otus.py with –r 97_otus.fasta, from greengenes, and with this I obtain the taxonomy data I need).

I want to generate the OTU table and assign taxonomy to my 18S sequences. I have downloaded the Silva 119 release, which has a 18S database.

Which scripts should I follow to assign taxonomy to these 18S sequences?

I’ve been looking at pick_otus.py but I don’t know if it’s the correct script and which parameters should I use.

Thank you in advance to you all!

Laura

Colin Brislawn

May 5, 2016, 12:26:52 PM5/5/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello Laura,

The scripts pick_otus.py should be a good fit for your data. pick_open_reference_otus.py is also a good fit.

I think the ITS tutorial would be a very good starting point, because it also has to use non-default databases.

Let me know if that tutorial helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Colin