Qiime on Chromebook

smser

Dec 7, 2018, 11:22:00 AM12/7/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello,
I am new to using Qiime. I have a Chromebook. Is it possible to use Qiime on a Chromebook? As in, is there a way to use Qimme without downloading the software, since a Chromebook cannot support it.
(I realize that Qiime is no longer supported, and it switched to Qiime2.)

Thank you in advance for your help!

kdv

Dec 8, 2018, 4:08:08 AM12/8/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
This is not really answering your question, but if you have a suitable computer at home for example, running QIIME, you could use a remote control program like TeamViewer on your Chromebook to access your main computer running QIIME, for example when you are on the road.

Colin Brislawn

Dec 8, 2018, 1:27:17 PM12/8/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Good morning,

Unfortunately, Qiime 1 makes use of linux software which is not easily supported on Chromebooks.
(Technicall, some linux software is supported, but I think you would be the first person to test out Qiime 1. https://gizmodo.com/how-to-get-more-out-of-your-chromebook-by-running-linux-1829058899

Another issue is the amount of memory / RAM needed for perform clustering. Qiime needs at least 8 GB of RAM for OTU clustering, and 16 GB is recommended. How much RAM does your chromebook have?

I like kdv's suggestion of using the chromebook to connect to a more powerful computer with Qiime installed. You could use a remote control program like juice-ssh to connect to an supercomputer on AWS EC2 with Qiime 2, as described here: http://qiime.org/tutorials/working_with_aws.html

Colin