How to correctly specify an install dir with pip

Stefano

Mar 9, 2016, 8:24:03 AM3/9/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Dear all,
I'm trying to have latest version of qiime installed in a specific directory (/opt/qiime) with PIP.

I did

$ apt-get install build-essential python-pip python-dev libfreetype6-dev libgsl0-dev pkg-config ghc libatlas-base-dev gfortran
$ mkdir /opt/qiime
$ pip install numpy
$ LC_ALL=C pip install qiime -t /opt/qiime/

which actually worked, but the qiime executables are not available in the PATH.

How can I have them available in users' env?

Thanks

Cheers

Stefano

Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza

Mar 9, 2016, 2:22:54 PM3/9/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello Stefano,

With python packages and pip, there are usually two folders, one for the python libraries and one for the python executables. When a package is installed to a default location, the folder with the python executables will be copied to the desired location, but in this case since you installed to /opt/qiime/, I am assuming that there's a bin folder in /opt/qiime/python/bin (or maybe something like /opt/qiime/bin?), where all these scripts are located, add this path to the $PATH environment variable, I think that should do it. Else let me know what you find in /opt/qiime/...

Thanks!

Yoshiki.