Important Update: Featured Badge Eligibility & Manifest V3 Migration

cws-n...@google.com

Apr 16, 2024, 2:20:54 PMApr 16
to qibla-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Developer,

As part of our ongoing efforts to enhance the security, privacy, and performance of the Chrome ecosystem, we are reaching out to inform you about upcoming changes to the Chrome Web Store's Featured badge criteria and item visibility for any remaining extensions built using Manifest Version 2 you have published.

Since the introduction of the Featured badge, we have recognized extensions that embrace technical best practices, offer superior user experiences, and maintain high standards of design. This badge reflects our commitment to promoting extensions that provide clear, helpful, and privacy-respecting experiences to users.

In line with our commitment to these values and the broader strategy to migrate toward more secure and performant extensions built using Manifest Version 3, we are updating the eligibility criteria for the Featured badge. On June 3rd, extensions must be built with Manifest Version 3 to qualify for or retain the Featured badge.

What this means for you:

  1. Featured Badge Eligibility: To maintain your extension's Featured status, you will need to migrate it to Manifest V3 by June 3rd. In order to ensure sufficient time for extension review, we strongly advise finishing the migration to Manifest V3 weeks before this deadline. Extensions that do not complete this transition will see their Featured badge removed as part of our broader efforts to ensure a secure and up-to-date browsing experience for all Chrome users.
  2. Visibility and Promotion: Manifest Version 3 extensions will be prioritized in the Chrome Web Store, including in search results and recommendations. This update aims to highlight extensions that align with our latest security standards and provide users with the best possible experience.
  3. In-browser Phase-out: Beginning June of this year, we will begin to gradually disable extensions running Manifest V2 for Chrome users.

We encourage you to migrate your extension to Manifest Version 3. We understand that migrating to Manifest Version 3 represents a significant effort. This transition not only ensures that your extension can continue to be recognized as a Featured extension but also aligns with our shared goal of providing Chrome users with a secure, private, and high-performing browsing experience. To support you, we have compiled a suite of resources, guides, and tools available here. Our team is also available for consultations and assistance through the One Stop Support page.

Thank you for your cooperation and participation in the Chrome extension ecosystem.

- The Google Chrome Web Store team

© 2024 Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway,
Mountain View, CA 94043

You have received this mandatory service announcement to update you about important changes to your Chrome Web Store Developer account.