Qiang's painting for today: Roping Quick Draw

Qiang Huang

Nov 5, 2020, 6:10:52 PM11/5/20
to qiang-huang-a-...@googlegroups.com

Having trouble viewing the message? Click here to see the web version.

My Blog       My Website       My Workshops       My Email

Roping Quick Draw"

10" x 12" oil on board     Sold

This is my quick draw piece on the EPAT 2020 competition. How can you paint a subject which moving in a fast speed? I think the key is take advantage of the "repetition" (of course the subjects have to be willing to do it). I was located at the outside of the "practicing ring", The riders were running in circles. I paid attention only on one of the angles when the horses came. I extremely simplified the painting by throwing away the light, color, background, and even value. It does not matter weather the horse is black or white, nor the rider is a cowboy or cowgirl. I don't really know the anatomic structure of horses, but I only worked on the silhouette of rider's gesture, so I have a plenty of time doing that.
Thank you for viewing my art,

Qiang

Covid-19 may stop my workshops, but not my DVDs and online teaching. Click the images below to order

My "Painter's Guide" app (Free)

My Demo and Podcast

Live with Eric Rhoads #172

Plein Air Podcast #189