Qiang's painting for today: The Day of the Dead

Qiang Huang

Dec 11, 2022, 8:51:10 PM12/11/22
to qiang-huang-a-...@googlegroups.com

The Day of the Dead

Video

9" x 12" Oil on Board

It is almost Christmas, but my time is still at Halloween. I am still posting my EPAT paintings.  I was at the San Angelo Museum of Fine Art, and it happened to be the Day of the Dead celebration. I don't think I am ready to talk about death, but that day was all about it. I really liked the attitude of the Mexicans toward death. The celebration was quite joyful. Colorful skulls and skeletons were all over the place. People wore colorful cloths and danced happily. Children got their faces painted like skulls. Death we usually think is a sad thing, but the atmosphere that day was quite the opposite.  I still felt reluctant to relate death to happiness, but I start to accept the mortality is significantly important. Our planet is finite. If we all were immortal, there would be no places for us to stay. I painted a small roadside memorial that day. I kind of like it, but of course no collectors want to touch it. That was all right. My wife took quite a few photos and video clips. I made a YouTube video with them to document this lively dead day.

Thank you for viewing my art,

Qiang

Copyrights © QH Art Studio All Rights Reserved