All groups and messages
Send feedback to Google
Meeting Notes: Oct 12, 2021 -- Bandit Wargame
Skip to first unread message
Oct 12, 2021, 9:28:59 PM
Reply to author
Sign in to reply to author
Sign in to forward
You do not have permission to delete messages in this group
Report message as abuse
Sign in to report message as abuse
Show original message
Either email addresses are anonymous for this group or you need the view member email addresses permission to view the original message
6:32pm @Icons Rock Island, Chris Cooper kicks off the meeting
The team embarks on an adventure to complete the Bandit wargame:
- a discussion of escaping the stdin char '-', vs alex's inode trickery
- Chris Cooper wins the first meeting stumper with his use of tr to rotate a string by 13 char positions:
`cat data.txt | tr 'A-Za-z' 'N-ZA-Mn-za-m'`. Much wow!
- Chris Cooper introduces us to `diff -Naur` for patch-format diffing
- Bill has flashbacks to horrible horrible sins committed with setuid binaries
- we learn about the linux `timeout` command, with `timeout -s 9 60 $command`
- Chris Cooper amazes the crowd by reducing his terminal size so he can interrupt a devious default shell running `more`, then entering vi mode to set a shell of his choosing.
- team was a little derailed by a git tag ref that had no tree. Chris saved the day with `git show <tag>` as the password was in the tag metadata... groans abounded.
- the team completed the final shell escape with the use of `$0`.
@8:22pm, the meeting devolves into standard linux/hardware banter, thus concluding another successful QCLUG meeting.
Thanks Chris Cooper for running through the wargame, and thanks to those in attendance!
-- Bill Bean
Reply to author
0 new messages