Looking to join.

troy...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2020, 6:48:24 PM3/7/20
to QCLUG
Hey, I just found your LUG. I've been listening to alot of podcasts and I hear them mention the word "LUG" alot and I had never heard of that term before.

After finding that I had a Linux Group so close I'd like to meet and chat with fellow Linux People.

I'm running Manjaro on my Desktop. My parents I had on Linux Mint for the past like 3yrs. I just switched them to Peppermint Linux.

I live in DeWitt, so I'm not to far from Davenport. I work 2nd Shift, so the Noon Meetings you have I don't know if I can stick around without being afraid of getting late to work.

Do you have a Telegram Chat group or something? I saw you had Slack on the website. I never used it before.

m.wilson

Mar 7, 2020, 7:24:56 PM3/7/20
to qclug...@googlegroups.com
Hi Troy,
I use Manjaro as well on my main pc, and MX on my laptop.

I think a telegram group is a great idea. I use telegram every day, and with so many
messengers out there, it is hard to get people on the same one.

I haven't been to a meeting yet. From what I have seen from the notes and comments,
the topics are quite a bit over my head. I thought I was a somewhat knowledgeable linux
user, I have been using it for about 5 years exclusively. But I was wrong ! I do use emby
and plex, and I did see that topic come up and I would have loved to hear about it.

If everyone or anyone would be interested in the telegram group, I would love to start it and
also moderate and maintain it.

Have a great weekend !
Mark

--

---

Alexander Maidak

Mar 7, 2020, 7:26:16 PM3/7/20
to qclug...@googlegroups.com
Hi Troy,

Nice to hear you've found Linux and you're interested in QCLUG.  Our next meeting is Tuesday March 10th 6:30pm at Icons in Martini Bar in Rock Island.  Usually a number of us meet before the meeting and have dinner, often in the District of Rock Island.  I will send you an invite to our slack group so you can join up and chat with us there.  If you work 2nd shift you may not be able to attend or normal meetings but feel free to join us on slack to chat about Linux.

The noon meeting is our "board" meeting.  Its basically a casual lunch that anyone can show up to where we set the agenda for our next meeting.  Usually we have our board meeting at the QC Pizza Company in Moline.  Since its a buffet its easy to stop in/eat and leave whenever you need too.

Thanks,

Alex

Alexander Maidak

Mar 7, 2020, 7:42:51 PM3/7/20
to qclug...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

Our meeting topics do trend towards IT and Web Operations.  This is because our most frequent presenters (and attendees) mainly use Linux at work and are motivated to present on those topics.  We all use Linux to some degree on the desktop and as hobbyists so we try to mix those topics into our schedule.  I think our meeting idea backlog this year has ideas around demo'ing Android on x86, properly re-encoding video for plex and homebrew game development for the NintendoDS - now if those ideas get off the ground we shall see :).  If there's any specific topic people are interested in seeing or presenting on please let us know.

I think it would be interesting to do a "Linux on the Laptop" meeting where people bring in their Linux laptops show and tell around them, like what UI they run and then prove whether or not suspend and resume is working for them ;)

Regarding chat we are all in the QCLUG slack workspace it works well so far and we're fairly active in there  I've sent you an invite so you can join.

-Alex

troy...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2020, 11:43:14 PM3/7/20
to QCLUG
Do you have any meetings on weekends?

Yeah I can't make it to a 6pm meeting I'll be at work. Unless you do it on a holiday.

I use ffmpeg to transcode my videos for my Plex server. I been using x265 recently as my 4k tv can direct play them.

I got the LibreDrive setup on my Blu-Ray drive so I can rip 4k blu-ray discs.