Call for Submissions: Health

qarrtsiluni

Nov 1, 2009, 11:59:29 AM11/1/09
to qarrtsil...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We’re pleased to announce that submissions are open for the winter
issue, which will begin publishing after the New Year. The theme this
time is Health, broadly defined, and the editors are Susan Elbe and
Kelly Madigan Erlandson. We’re having the submission period now, in
November, to avoid the busy holiday season. The deadline is November
30th. As always, please refer to the How to Contribute page for
general submission guidelines (and note that there have been several
minor changes).

The editors have chosen a theme that should resonate far beyond the
current health care debate in the United States. They write:

We are interested in creative interpretations of health, which will of
course include the health (or lack thereof) of the human body, but
also of the mind and spirit, the environment, or the culture. How
systems stay in balance, how one attains wellness, how we relate or
respond to our own state of health and the health of others, and the
extent of an individual’s physical, emotional, mental, and social
ability to cope with his/her environment would all be fair game.
Unusual health-related practices also intrigue us (serpents? psychic
surgery?) as well as tales of spontaneous recovery. How much control
do we have over our own health? Explore superstitions, regale us with
symptoms, or simply make a well-written toast to our health — we’ll
consider it. Keep in mind too that the etymological roots of health
include “whole” and “hale,” but also “holy.”

Our limit is three poems or one prose piece per submission, with a
1,200-word limit on the prose.

Please visit qarrtsiluni to read the rest of the announcement:
http://qarrtsiluni.com/2009/11/01/call-for-submissions-health/

Feel free to copy and paste the announcement post into blogs,
listservs, etc., or of course you can simply forward this email.
Thanks! We hope to hear from you soon.

Beth and Dave

--
Beth Adams and Dave Bonta