Mavenization?

Adam Gibson

Sep 2, 2013, 2:24:51 PM9/2/13
to qa-...@googlegroups.com
All,

Based on what I'm seeing in the github right now, where are we at on converting this?

I'm more than willing to take that on if necessary.

Adam

Jack Park

Sep 2, 2013, 6:38:09 PM9/2/13
to Adam Gibson, qa-...@googlegroups.com, Tim Casey
I am copying Tim Casey on this with the hopes that he could be invited
in and comment. Tim once expressed interest in mavenizing the project,
but may not have the bandwidth at this time.

I think it is a good idea to mavenize the project, including creation
of a maven repo for our own resources; that is, we reuse jars from
various libraries in different SolrSherlock agent projects; right now,
my own maven pom files simply reference the local /lib directory.

Jack
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qa-oss/81905d9b-184b-43cf-aa83-d9ac9b10dc9d%40googlegroups.com.

Jack Park

Sep 2, 2013, 6:48:46 PM9/2/13
to Adam Gibson, qa-...@googlegroups.com, Tim Casey
Some level of violent agreement.

Actually, TopicQuests, the foundation behind all my knowledge garden
and SolrSherlock work does have its own maven repo. We could use it,
but I worry about reliability. I've heard it's possible to move a
maven repo to github.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Adam Gibson
<agi...@clevercloudcomputing.com> wrote:
> If he doesn't have the bandwidth, let's start talking about getting this on
> maven central. We can also host a snapshots repository on a server. I've
> hosted and setup maven repositories via nexus before. I'd just like to
> figure out where I could help.
>
> If possible, before I start doing anything significant on the larger part of
> the codebase, I'd like to have this mavenized in some way to make
> integration dead easy.
>
> Adam

Adam Gibson

Adam Gibson

Sep 2, 2013, 6:51:02 PM9/2/13
to Jack Park, qa-...@googlegroups.com, Tim Casey

I've also hosted maven repos on github before.

https://github.com/agibsonccc/mvnrepo

It can be a bit annoying when downloading large files though (above 250MB or so?) due to a 403 it will throw. You typically have to clone the repo otherwise.

Other than that it's do able.

Adam

Tim Casey

Sep 5, 2013, 3:20:51 PM9/5/13
to Jack Park, Adam Gibson, qa-...@googlegroups.com

Mavenizing is not hard, but it is small bit of work.  I do not have the bandwidth and probably will not for at least the next month.

Mavenizing, to me, was a two part thing.  The first part was building a pom for the project which could be used to build the various pieces.  The second step is the publishing part.  I do not know how to publish to the central repo, but the pom part is probably not hard.

An alternative is using ivy, which is a maven dependency resolver for ant.  I personally think it is cleaner and simpler to use maven directly, but it may not be easy to go from ant to maven.

tim

Tim Casey

Sep 5, 2013, 7:25:22 PM9/5/13
to Adam Gibson

I am down with what ever works and makes forward progress.  If you need any help, not that you do and not that I know I can help, feel free to call me. REDACTED.  I do not mind that kind of time, I more mind the typing time.

tim

Edit: Sorry Tim, these messages are public. I didn't want to risk your number being out on the public internet there. -Adam
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Adam Gibson <agi...@clevercloudcomputing.com> wrote:
Tim,
I really appreciate the response. I could understand that. If you don't mind, I'd like to make this my first contribution then. I gave jack read access to the codebase I planned on contributing as well and since that's still being sorted out (the best way to do this, how to integrate, coding conventions,...)  I figured I could get this done in lieu of that to help prepare for others contributions.

Adam

Adam Gibson

Sep 5, 2013, 7:27:28 PM9/5/13
to Tim Casey, qa-...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

That's great. I'll make sure to message you if I need any help. I scrubbed your phone number from the original post so as not to have telemarketers spam you ;).  These messages are public FYI.

Adam
On 09/05/2013 07:18 PM, Tim Casey wrote:

I am down with what ever works and makes forward progress.  If you need any help, not that you do and not that I know I can help, feel free to call me.  408-221-1314.  I do not mind that kind of time, I more mind the typing time.

tim

Adam Gibson