Invitations, QA projects

Petr Baudis

Apr 16, 2015, 12:45:49 PM4/16/15
to qa-...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I just wanted to let the group members know that besides earlier
inviting Sean Gallagher of Watsonsim, I just invited the developers of
OpenQA, SEMPRE, Jacana, OAQA (the CMU team of professor Nyberg), QANTA,
and the Torobo team of NII Japan to join this group.

Much earlier, we thought with Jack Park that it's a shame the Question
Answering research community is so fragmented and it's not easy to learn
about other paradigms or new papers, results, datasets, competitions.
I was busy with other work but Sean's post prodded me to go forward
with this now - thanks!

I hope that the invited researchers won't regard my post as spam;
some already got back to me and joined, which I'm really glad for!

Also, the systems I listed (plus YodaQA, WatsonSim and OpenSherlock)
represent various very different paradigms of approaching the Question
Answering task, so you might want to check them out! Some people work
on picking the best answer passage, others focus on "simply" translating
the question to a structured database query, some try to replicate the
classic pipeline model and QANTA is "storing" the content using
recursive neural networks and distributed representations.

So, my hope is that by connecting the QA researchers, people start
combining approaches in interesting ways, learn about possible real
world usecases, see how others tackle some of the hard problems,
or just talk to each other.

Happy question answering,

Petr Baudis

Jack Park

Apr 16, 2015, 1:46:39 PM4/16/15
to Petr Baudis, qa-...@googlegroups.com
Searching on Torobo led to Torobo-kun, a robot that reportedly does well on entrance exams [1].and the hashtag #torobokun
The project is led by Professor Noriko Arai [2] at NII.

Literature on QANTA appears to start here [3]: A NEURAL NETWORK FOR FACTOID QUESTION ANSWERING OVER PARAGRAPHS
[3] includes link to the source code and data (Python, BSD)

Seems that I will need to keep a dynamic list of open source and research projects in this space, based on an update of slide 9 of my talk [4]. Absent any other form for the moment, I'll create a googledoc and post a link to this list.

Cheers
Jack