SLF4j?

Adam Gibson

Sep 5, 2013, 11:02:29 PM9/5/13
to qa-...@googlegroups.com
Would anyone be against migrating logging in solrsherlock to SLF4j? Most projects use it as their logging scheme, and it's very easy to migrate and retain backwards compatibility with whatever logging layers we would need to setup.

Adam

Jack Park

Sep 5, 2013, 11:08:30 PM9/5/13
to Adam Gibson, qa-...@googlegroups.com
I wrote a logging platform in the topicquests core code. I have yet to
see a reason for switching to slf4j, especially given the occasional
battles to know which jar files to use. My logging platform is based
on plain vanilla log4j, and offers a bunch of other cool features,
like a tracer.

Still, if we must switch, at least it ought to be for profound reasons.

My 0.02 EUROS
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qa-oss/edc5a84d-6a8c-45a5-b953-168076f979f0%40googlegroups.com.

Adam Gibson

Sep 5, 2013, 11:12:27 PM9/5/13
to qa-...@googlegroups.com
You have a very good point, hence why I was asking. My main pitch for switching would have been for an easy compatibility layer for other projects. An overwhelming amount of projects use slf4j and it can sometimes be a pain dependency if you fight against it. I didn't plan on doing anything drastic as of yet. I would say don't rewrite it if it doesn't work. I was mainly basing my perspective on seeing the different logging dependencies in solrplatform-core (the first part I'm porting to maven) . I won't bother worrying about till I have a better understanding of the project then.

Adam

Jack Park

Sep 6, 2013, 12:04:13 AM9/6/13
to Adam Gibson, qa-...@googlegroups.com
I believe that there are components in the system which demand SLF4j,
and some which demand the commons logging platform. I simply built the
logging framework to deal with all other needs, including the Scala
stuff.