Installation problem on Windows 7

JacquesM

Feb 27, 2010, 9:02:38 AM2/27/10
to Q10 Editor
Hi

When I try to install Q10 on Windows 7 I get the following error
message:

Error opening file for writing:
C:\Program Files\Q10\q10.exe

Any advice?

Gun Metal Gray

Feb 27, 2010, 5:59:14 PM2/27/10
to Q10 Editor
Are you running windows 7 x64 or x32? If its x64 you might have
installed it in the wrong directory. Install in C:\Program Files
(x86)\.
Also try uninstalling Q10, then installing the program again by right
clicking the Q10 installer and selecting "Run as administrator".

Ted

Feb 28, 2010, 5:10:16 PM2/28/10
to Q10 Editor
I am getting the same error message. There must be more of us. And
there are no install options available that have anything to do with
"administrator." Any other suggestions or information?

JacquesM

Mar 2, 2010, 3:21:59 PM3/2/10
to Q10 Editor
Hi Ted

I managed to get it right, not entirely sure how (which in itself is
disturbing).

I downloaded the portable version of Q10, and copied all the files
into a folder named 'Q10' within the C:\Program Files folder (just so
that all my apps were together). Then I tried installing Q10 again,
doing what Gun Metal Gray mentioned (right-clicking on the
installation file and selecting "Run as Administrator"). This time it
installed perfectly (at the time I assumed it was because there
already was a 'Q10.exe' file present (from when I copied the portable
app's files into the folder) which it could open, thereby bypassing
the initial problem. However chances are good that it worked because I
ran the installation as the Administrator) (it's working and I have no
desire to fiddle around to try and figure out why it's working).

Hope this helps.

JM

Gun Metal Gray

Mar 2, 2010, 4:54:28 PM3/2/10
to Q10 Editor
I performed the following steps when installing Q10 on Windows 7
(x64).

- Download the installer from http://www.baara.com/q10/downloads/q10-1.2.exe
(i dont use the spell check version, too buggy.)
- Save the installer too my desktop.
- Right-click the installer on my desktop, then select "Run as
administrator". Then follow through with the install.
Works perfectly, no errors.

> > > Any advice?- Hide quoted text -

Ryn Carpenter

Mar 9, 2016, 12:59:09 PM3/9/16
to Q10 Editor, jacques...@gmail.com
I found that this program is still having this problem on Windows 10! You think they'd fix it by now. Anyway, yes, you just have to go into your downloads folder or wherever you saved the installer file and right-click it and select "run as administrator". Works like a charm!

fippen...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2016, 6:49:13 AM11/3/16
to Q10 Editor
Run as Administrator worked for me (with the spell check version).