Twitter API usage?

gu0sup

Feb 2, 2023, 12:23:05 PM2/2/23
to py...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Earlier today, I saw a notice on Twitter from @TwitterDev saying this:

Starting February 9, we will no longer support free access to the Twitter API, both v2 and v1.1. A paid basic tier will be available instead”

Will that impact all of us using Twitter to post weather spots hourly?

If so, it will impact a huge number of folk, not just those of us posting weather Tweets.

73 de Phil GU0SUP

Jim Easterbrook

Feb 2, 2023, 12:28:58 PM2/2/23
to py...@googlegroups.com
On 02/02/2023 17:23, 'gu0sup' via pywws wrote:

> Earlier today, I saw a notice on Twitter from @TwitterDev saying this:
>
> “Starting February 9, we will no longer support free access to the
> Twitter API, both v2 and v1.1. A paid basic tier will be available instead”
>
> Will that impact all of us using Twitter to post weather spots hourly?

I've no idea what effect it will have. If it breaks pywws than that's
that - I've no intention of paying and I don't want to invest any effort
modifying pywws to keep up with a company that changes its policies more
often than I change my socks.

Mastodon is very nice.

--
Jim Easterbrook <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

gu0sup

Feb 2, 2023, 5:10:59 PM2/2/23
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

I wouldn't expect you to pay, obviously, but this was more to make folk aware that it MAY cause a problem. I know there are a huge number of pywws users that do exactly this with their weather stations, so if Twitter does remove API access, then there will be many unhappy folk out there.

Best regards

Phil Cooper

Jim Easterbrook

Feb 3, 2023, 10:03:16 AM2/3/23
to py...@googlegroups.com
On 02/02/2023 17:28, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On 02/02/2023 17:23, 'gu0sup' via pywws wrote:
>>
>> Earlier today, I saw a notice on Twitter from @TwitterDev saying this:
>>
>> “Starting February 9, we will no longer support free access to the
>> Twitter API, both v2 and v1.1. A paid basic tier will be available
>> instead”
>>
>> Will that impact all of us using Twitter to post weather spots hourly?
>
> I've no idea what effect it will have. If it breaks pywws than that's
> that - I've no intention of paying and I don't want to invest any effort
> modifying pywws to keep up with a company that changes its policies more
> often than I change my socks.

I've rummaged round in the Twitter API documentation and I *think* the
charges will only be for stuff like searching and so on. Basic posting
(which is all pywws does) should remain free if anyone at Twitter has
any sense. Announcing charges with one week's notice and no details
suggests a lack of sense though.

pco...@suremail.gg

Feb 3, 2023, 11:02:20 AM2/3/23
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

I will keep an eye on my Twitter feed and see what happens, but the Tweet from them is very vague and appears to have made quite a few folk nervous.
I follow some astronomical Twitter feeds that tell of the possibility of aurora etc, and almost all are Tweeted with an API, and many of them are concerned.

I guess there is nothing to do other than to wait.

Hopefully, nothing will change, but it is worth watching and checking.

Cheers

Phil Cooper