Compatible stations

pco...@suremail.gg

Nov 2, 2020, 1:14:44 PM11/2/20
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Is there a list of weather stations that are compatible with pywws?
I'm sure I have seen a suitable list somewhere, but can't seem to find it now.

Regards

Phil Cooper
Guernsey

Jim Easterbrook

Nov 2, 2020, 3:31:21 PM11/2/20
to py...@googlegroups.com
On 02/11/2020 18:14, 'pco...@suremail.gg' via pywws wrote:

> Is there a list of weather stations that are compatible with pywws?
> I'm sure I have seen a suitable list somewhere, but can't seem to find it now.

I've never attempted to produce such a list - it would be outdated very
quickly. There is also the problem of the same station being sold under
lots of different brands and model numbers, and the same or similar
model numbers being used for different stations by different brands.
--
Jim Easterbrook <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

gu0sup

Nov 2, 2020, 5:25:20 PM11/2/20
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

Thanks for confirming that. My current station is working fine at the moment, but I was just researching alternatives, in case of any future issues.
My current unit was a Maplin unit, and I believe that it is also sold under various other names, so will check those out.
However, I am also looking at higher spec units, and wondered whether there was a better alternative.

Kind regards

Phil

Jim Easterbrook

Nov 3, 2020, 3:04:31 AM11/3/20
to py...@googlegroups.com
On 02/11/2020 22:25, 'gu0sup' via pywws wrote:

> However, I am also looking at higher spec units, and wondered whether there was a better alternative.

pywws only works with stations made by "Fine Offset" that use the
original EasyWeather software. I think that rules out higher spec units.

JAMES COOPER

Jan 26, 2021, 9:05:33 AM1/26/21
to pywws
Would the "original EasyWeather software" mean NOT EasyWeatherPlus, like used on the Fine Offset station below?

Jim Easterbrook

Jan 26, 2021, 9:15:50 AM1/26/21
to py...@googlegroups.com
On 26/01/2021 14:05, 'JAMES COOPER' via pywws wrote:
> Would the "original EasyWeather software" mean _NOT_ EasyWeatherPlus,
> like used on the Fine Offset station below?
> http://www.foshk.com/Weather_Professional/WH3080.html

I just don't know. That station is so different in appearance from the
old ones I'm familiar with that I've no idea if it uses the same
software interface.

richar...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2021, 1:32:47 PM1/26/21
to pywws
I have a ws3080 from Aercus Instruments, which has the same console but different outside sensors as the WS3080 example you have shown and it works perfectly with pywws. Fine Offset have relatively recently changed their outside sensor module to that which you showed. Fortunately, I recently purchased a replacement console which when it arrived turned out to be for the updated version of my station (https://www.aercusinstruments.com/aercus-instruments-ws3085-wireless-weather-station) according to the part number on the back, which looks identical to the example you posted.
I've just connected this new console to my Raspberry Pi running pywws and ran pywws-testweatherstation which completed successfully and displayed the memory address grid, so it looks like, at least for me, that it works with pywws.
The WS3085 station can be bought from Greenfrog Scientific (https://www.greenfrogscientific.co.uk/aercus-instruments-ws3085-wireless-weather-station/) if you are based in the UK or EU.

Obviously, I can't guarantee with 100% certainty any station you purchase will definately work, but I hope this helps.

chris-t

Apr 9, 2021, 7:02:14 AM4/9/21
to pywws
Hi all --
Our weather station (a Watson 8681) has just given up the ghost after more than 10 years of sterling service -- a wind gust blew a swing chair into it and broke the anemometer and the rain gauge and it now won't communicate at all. We use the wonderful pywws and also have it connected to a Raspberry Pi. Now we too are after a replacement.
Can anyone confirm that the Aercus WS3085 mentioned below definitely works well with pywws and the Pi?  If so, can the old data be transferred/imported fairly easily? Presumably some kind of tweaking might be needed as it supplies more data (light intensity).
Failing that, can anyone recommend any other currently available pywws-compatible stations for <£200?
Many thanks to Jim for pywws and unfailing support over the years :-)

Best, Chris  -- our site is at http://vermilionsands.uk/weather2/

Mike Alsop

Apr 16, 2021, 1:20:16 AM4/16/21
to py...@googlegroups.com
In particular, I would like to add UV to the suite, so if the WS3085 works with PYWWS, I think I will go with an upgrade too as I think my old station would fall apart if I got up there and touched the plastic.....LOL. Now 12 years old in the tropics of Australia. These days I only feed Wunderground.

Mike

chris-t

Apr 19, 2021, 2:29:24 PM4/19/21
to pywws