Problem running pywws-livelog-daemon with debian 12 & python 3.11

richar...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2024, 7:30:22 AMFeb 10
to pywws
Hello,

I'm in the process of upgrading my pywws install to Debian 12 and python 3.11 by creating  new installation from the release image (Armbian), and following the installation instructions in pywws's ReadTheDocs. I've made usre I've installed all the required dependancies and have definitely installed python-daemon...

 However when I try to run pywws-livelog-daemon I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/pywws-livelog-daemon", line 5, in <module>
    from pywws.livelogdaemon import main
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/dist-packages/pywws/livelogdaemon.py", line 54, in <module>
    from daemon.runner import DaemonRunner, make_pidlockfile
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'daemon.runner'

Any thoughts on how to resolve this, my usual generic search engine queries aren't helping this time.

Thanks in advance for pywws and any help you can give.

richar...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2024, 7:58:49 AMFeb 10
to pywws
Hello,

After doing a bit of digging in the change history of python-daemon on pypi I found this entry for version 3.0.0, the current version is 3.0.1:

* Remove the obsolete `runner` module.

This module was deprecated starting in `python-daemon` version 2.1.2, and is
now removed as unmaintained.

Looks like a rewrite of pywws-livelog-daemon might be required. I'm going to try old install an older version of python-daemon to see if that works...

Jim Easterbrook

Feb 10, 2024, 8:20:58 AMFeb 10
to py...@googlegroups.com
On 10/02/2024 12:58, richar...@gmail.com wrote:

> After doing a bit of digging in the change history of python-daemon on
> pypi I found this entry for version 3.0.0, the current version is 3.0.1:
>
> * Remove the obsolete `runner` module.
>
> This module was deprecated starting in `python-daemon` version 2.1.2, and is
> now removed as unmaintained.
>
> Looks like a rewrite of pywws-livelog-daemon might be required. I'm
> going to try old install an older version of python-daemon to see if
> that works...

Try 'pip install "python-daemon<3.0"'

The quotes are needed as '<' means 'file redirection' to the command shell.

Better still, use systemd to run pywws-livelog and you won't need
python-daemon at all.

--
Jim Easterbrook <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

richar...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2024, 8:44:48 AMFeb 10
to pywws
Dear Jim,

Thanks I managed to install version 2.3.2 and now it works. The challenge I have with systems is that pywws only crashes because of the USB port locking up and I need to run a script to power cycle everything, oh and I’m not very clear on getting systemd working properly…